Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Colonising Space

Robert

Hi all,

I think that the solution to todays current economic crisis is to colonise space, and quickly!!

Now don't be hasty and say no-way, hear what I've got to say first:)

1) Start with a proper International Space Station. With one of these we can do unrestricted science stuff, clean up Earths lower orbit of all the cr*p like chinese satalite debris and so on.

2) The Moon. Lets have a nice, shiney, nifty Moon base with orbital docks. This could lead to manufacturing facilities, science facilities, military (International ONLY) facilities, and coresponding communities scattered over the surface, and below the surface, of our beautiful moon.

3) Now for the adventurous! Lets go for it and go to Mars. I for one would pay anything to go there!! The same can be built on Mars as on the moon, but with maybe a little bit of groovy terra-forming!

4) And finally for the totally crazy! Lets colonise asteroids and comets. Great for mining, and with a little retrofitting could be turned into Spaceships.

That would create jobs + housing for people.

Just one little problem where is the money coming from in this unfortunate economical climate.

At this moment I think the money could be better spent elsewhere until we are financially more secure.

The problem with colonizing space as a method of reducing population pressures is that the energy cost of removing an 80kg person from the earth, taking him/her to another planet, asteroid or space station and providing living accomodation, is mutiples of what it costs to leave that person on earth and take care of him here. Full stop.

I think we are more than capeable of fixing the problems we have created here on this planet. The hole in the ozone layer is already shrinking, and realistic ways of producing and using clean and renewable energy are more in reach now than ever.

The most dangerous thing humans can do, IMO, is move on to a new planet before correcting the mistsakes we have made here. Those mistakes will just be repeated.

Space colonisation should be done with the purposes of exploration and knowledge, not to prop up a broken system.

Interesting subject!

I think we are more than capeable of fixing the problems we have created here on this planet. The hole in the ozone layer is already shrinking, and realistic ways of producing and using clean and renewable energy are more in reach now than ever.

The most dangerous thing humans can do, IMO, is move on to a new planet before correcting the mistsakes we have made here. Those mistakes will just be repeated.

Space colonisation should be done with the purposes of exploration and knowledge, not to prop up a broken system.

Interesting subject!

Well said! :)

Interesting subject!

beg to differ - we can junk the new planet and then just move to another one :mad:; that's the great thing about space being so BIG - we won't never run out ...

ps - one thing I'm confident of is space will be the solution to our garbage problems - once we can shoot it up there cheaply enough that is :)

beg to differ - we can junk the new planet and then just move to another one :mad:; that's the great thing about space being so BIG - we won't never run out ...

ps - one thing I'm confident of is space will be the solution to our garbage problems - once we can shoot it up there cheaply enough that is :)

I agree the moon will become one big dumping ground.

I'm not saying dump it on the moon - just shoot it out there and let it float away...

The best suggestion I've heard for getting rid of the trash is to encase it in concrete and drop it in the ocean at a subduction zone. It's cheap, and the stuff won't resurface for at least 20 million years, and if it does, it'll be someone else's problem. Criminal gangs have been doing this for years, but they seem to have the East River confused with a subduction zone.

• 2 weeks later...

But why stay here? I think that if we did, we'd lose sight of the possiblity of ever leaving if we didn't start the process now, even if its just plans for next century

As for dumping waste in the ocean, it would cause sea levels to rise dramtically. We make a hell of a lot of waste!!

But why stay here? I think that if we did, we'd lose sight of the possiblity of ever leaving if we didn't start the process now, even if its just plans for next century

As for dumping waste in the ocean, it would cause sea levels to rise dramtically. We make a hell of a lot of waste!!

Well, compared to the size of the ocean, our rubbish is just, er, a drop in the ocean. :)

I think we need to be stuck here till we learn to look after the planet we've already got. Watching a nature programme the other night showed the abundant and beautiful lifeforms that inhabit this world. We have done our level best to diminish these, through selfish greed, and a seemingly increasing desire, not to give a toss about anything but personal gain. And talking about waste, some people won't even clean their own doorstep any more. I can't go for a walk without having to negotiate dog [removed word] littering the pavements, and those that do bag it, look for the most convenient hedge to stuff it into.

We really don't want to be taking these traits to a pristine new world and start to mess that up too. Sorry if I've offended anyones senses here, but there is no avoiding reality.

It's be funny setting up a base on the Moon and watch everyone try to claim the "Moon-Land" they bought of the internet. But the practicalities of it don't look to good- it would have to be a long-term project. Just look at how long the ISS took, and thats just a single station albeit big. But the best thing to do in terms of rubbish is reduce, reuse, recycle. We have enough problems without failed launches causing orbiting clusters of small artificial sattelites (Tesco shopping bags).

Archived