Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ6R-Pro Base removal

cfinn

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how the base casting of an EQ6R-Pro can be removed? This is just the part that adjusts alt and az for polar alignment. I have sent it into a machine shop to have the threads on the bottom re-tapped and they need this part detached from the moving parts of the mount to work on it safely.

I have emailed OVL about this but it is taking forever for them to hear back from the factory. My first guess is that the cap highlighted in the image below can be removed but it’s not easy or obvious that this is the right procedure.

Many thanks,

Charles

884734E6-1554-45BF-A28F-311896B53615.jpeg

I would suspect you are correct. It will only be a shaft as it serves no purpose other than to adjust the altitude of the mount with the alt screws. It doesn’t have any other mechanical purpose. It is the only means of connection between the two parts. I would go ahead and remove that cap