SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Great Night For Viewing!

Xgaze

Let my 6" Dob. cool down for a while then off out to the car parking spot behind our house.

Started with the amazing Orion Nebula what a treat this was tonight! the viewing/seeing is spectacular, no moon, no wobble, no wind nice and still. 

Moved around to M31 Andromeda Galaxy again, excellent viewing in current conditions, probably the best I've seen it. Also tried it with my Starguider Shorty Barlow lens but, as I suspected, I prefer it with just the 8mm BST on it's own, much sharper.

Decided to message a friend who parks his car where I was viewing and invite him to join me...

Then decided to have another go at finding Uranus for the first time, after it has hidden from me for the last few months (when it's been clear enough to search!) and I found it !! Really pleased with myself! at that moment my friend turned up with his partner. Calling after me in the dark, I excitedly beckoned them over to take a look and share in my newly discoverd view of the seventh planet in our solar system with its very slightly blue/green hue. 

After showing them Orion Nebula and Andromeda we looked at Betelgeuse and marvel at this red supergiant star then moved onto Sirius and, again, wonder and marvel at how bright and beautiful this star is with its pulsing colours burning seven times as bright as our own sun. We then moved up to Aldebaran another beautful gold jewel high up in the sky. Nice sharp refraction spikes attached. 

Then popped in the 32mm Plossl E.P to be blown away by Pleiades can't resist doing this each time I go out at the moment. Each time I'm just as impressed and always spot new features.

My two friends really enjoyed it. It was really thought provoking, lots of questions many which I couldn't yet answer. I think views of seven different targets was plenty for the three of us!

My friend helped me pack my set-up away laughing to his Missus as he said: "we just viewed all that off an old dustbin turned upside down!"😆

What another fantastic evening gazing at our wonderfully awe inspiring universe...it's great to be alive!!

Edited by Xgaze
typo
  • Like 9

Excellent stuff - nice to read !

It's a nice night here in North Somerset as well. I've been on a society zoom meeting but I'm free now to do some observing with my 12 inch dob (another upside down dustbin !) :smiley:

• Haha 1