SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is the advice "The HEQ5 is the entry point to AP" just plain wrong?

wuthton

9 hours ago, wuthton said:

In the spirit of friendly debate would you mind explaining to me (like I'm five) the advantage of a 80/600 over 80/480  of similar price and quality when used with a DLSR?

Simply because it puts you in that 600mm fl ball park, with the versatility option on adding a reducer to widen out the fov if you wish.. often those first few imaging targets you start off doing but come back to year on year frame up nicely with a DSLR... puts the moon as a full disc with a DSLR and teach yourself mosaics with a planetary cam.. The key here is versatility with the option of staying put or you will know if you want to go longer in fl or shorter depending what sparks the curiosity ... 600mm fl is a good base 

Without looking it up I'm not familiar with a 480/80mm scope with the same sort of price tag as a ed80 

On 01/02/2022 at 20:57, ollypenrice said:

Anyway, when are we going to hear chapter and verse on the guiding RMS of the EQ3 Pro? It's time for an infusion of facts into this conversation!! 😁 I've no idea what this mount can deliver since I don't even recall seeing one in the flesh, but if it's good enough to run at half the pixel scale of its imaging rig (or thereabouts) I'll gladly doff my hat to it.

Olly

I bought a used EQ3 1.5 years ago as my first AP mount. I pair it with the 130PDS, a 60mm Guidescope and a EOS 1200D, so i push it to its limits 😁

With proper alligment (Thanks to sharpcap)  i get a RMS between 0.95"-1.2" most of the times. This is also thanks to Multi star guiding. Without it, i got a RMS between 1.15" and 1.4".

Everything is controlled through EQmod, so no Synscan.

So i would say modern software plays a big role in enhancing cheap mounts.

The rig is pretty sensitive to windy conditions though. I can somewhat compensate by putting some additional weight on the tripod.

Maybe im just very lucky with my unit, since i never did any modification or maintenance like putting new grease on the gears. How often should that be done anyway?

Edited by Bibabutzemann
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Bibabutzemann said:

Maybe im just very lucky with my unit, since i never did any modification or maintenance like putting new grease on the gears. How often should that be done anyway?

My personal opinion is never, its the sticky black stuff that makes the EQ3-2 work as it compensates somewhat for poor machining..

Alan