SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Considering a Newt - Advice request on 8" vs 10" - SkyTee loading & Weight on BB Report 312

Looking back over a year with a Mak 127 I found that my biggest buzzes came from locating galaxies - something about the humbling distance and scale, amazing. Whilst the Mak does creditably well on these targets (much better than most's designation of it as a planetary/lunar scope for sure), even showing some structure in a few galaxies from a dark site, its still a Five-inch. So I am considering getting something bigger for the Spring galaxy season. 

This will be something to give me more light gathering power for dimmer Messiers and galaxy hunting, will still need to be portable as I will need to take it out of town to get a decent darker sky.  My observing site is 100m along a well made track from where I park so not too bad & not onerous if it has to go in two trips. I have no aspiration toward astrophotography at this point, my interest is purely visual.  

Owning the Mak 127 on an AZGTi and Berlebach 312 Report, and doing a fair amount of observing over the year has made me happier with manual star-hopping (helped by a Telrad/9x50 RACI combo), in fact I use the mount more in manual mode or for tracking only than I do in its GoTo guise.  Alongside the Mak I've also acquired an ST80 & fitted a 2in focusser for widefield and developed a "classic" long refractor eBay habit  (currently f11.8, f13.3 60mms and 2 x 3inch F15s).   The f15  'fracs in particular would be more stable and enjoyable to use on a heavier mount. So I am thinking of going for a Skytee2 + ADM saddle upgrade for the main load  & imagine the ST80 or a small 60mm would be fine sitting on the second saddle as is. Then I can rotate pea-shooters in and out next to a widefield instrument and enjoy the best of both. 

This upgrade would also allow for heavier OTAs to meet that increased aperture need. After lots of enjoyable browsing of CC8s, SCTs, Mak 180s etc - I've concluded that given the very few moonless, clear nights when I am free to jump in the car and lug gear about, its not worth spending thousands - cost-per-view likely to be pretty high. 

So I have been leaning toward adding an affordable 8" Newt on that Skytee2 (ADM up-weighted) to the stable - thinking SW Explorer 200 or if one comes up, an OO VX8. Around the 7 or 8kg mark these should be well within the stable range on the Skytee. 

My question is whether the 8 inch will show me enough of an improvement in galaxy targets over the Mak 127. On the right night will I be able to see any texture in a few? Will more reveal their form? 

If not, would going up to a 10 inch make all the difference?  If so, it becomes a practicality question - could I safely and stably run a SW Explorer 250 or VX10 on a Skytee /Berlebach 312 Report combo?    Weight would be 11-12kg, + maybe 1kg for accessories, so its above the 10kg lots of people talk about at the max load for a Skytee but under the 15kg manufacturer specs so borderline case there.  

(Or do I just buy a 10inch Dob and get the SkyTee for my other scopes anyway at some point?) 

Interested in all views and suggestions of course, but especially from those who have experience of running heavier scopes on the SkyTee2,  or have a view (literally) on the 5" vs 8" inch vs 10 inch from comparing 'scope's they've owned. 

Edited by SuburbanMak

I cannot advise on the suitability of the Skytee mount.  This reply is about aperture choice and strictly visual use. For deep sky viewing the jump from 5” to 8” should be obvious if you’re familiar with what’s seen through a 5”.  At the moment I own 4”, 6”, and 10” reflectors. When I previously owned an 8.5” Newtonian and used it from an excellent dark site on a very transparent night I could see spiral structure in M51, not leaping out at me but definitely there, and confirmed by two other club friends. This was in the spring with Ursa Major overhead so top conditions. I foolishly sold the very excellent 8.5” but bought another 8” subsequently, but that was sold on when a reliable person I know had a 10” Dob for sale in 2011. 

So current largest scope is that 10” Dob. The jump from 8” to 10” is seen but more subtle. It’s difficult to quantify the difference.  My 10” is an excellent example from a UK manufacturer. It’s very transportable, the light tube fits across the back of my car, the compact aluminium mount easily goes in the boot along with everything else. Sets up in a jiffy whilst others are fiddling around with complex kit. Ticks all the boxes for me, but not everyone.

My local club has a 12” Meade Lightbridge Dob that I’ve used. The extra aperture is nice but everything else about it definitely is not. It’s surprisingly much heavier takes much longer to put the truss tube together, fit the shroud and collimate.  My tubed 10” holds collimation excellently, it’s so much lighter and hassle free that for me trumps the 12” that I can borrow. This is absolutely not to put down larger telescopes, it’s about finding what suits yourself, not anyone else.

Just to finish, many have found that an 8” Dob is the perfect lifetime scope for them and I fully get that. The 8.5” scope previously mentioned was made decades ago by AstroSystems of Luton. On its superb aluminium pillar mount it was a scope that I deeply regret selling😢

Hoping that helps, Ed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Skytee would cope with the 10” newt but the Report tripod would just be too small and unstable. You would need a UNI tripod or an EQ6 type tripod. Also lifting the 10” newt into place is really a two person job.

The 10” dob is the more practical option I think. 

A 10” Bresser on a Skytee and UNI 18.

097C5706-448C-4529-8BF8-E7F6E3D7DBAF.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I recently had an Orion Optics 200mm F/6 and used it on my Skytee II mount on a wooden tripod. The OO optical tube weighs a bit less that the Skywatcher equivalent I believe.

With a counterweight on the opposite side, I found this setup (pictured below) was stable enough for satisfying visual observing. I felt like the mount and tripod were getting towards their limit though so I don't think that I would use a Skywatcher 10" inch tube assembly on the mount. One of the Skywatcher 8" F/5's would probably be OK though.

https://stargazerslounge.com/uploads/monthly_2021_12/oo20002.JPG.6a05add2c50725f2e1e5a78bf477dee2.JPG

Edited by John
  • Thanks 1