Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First attempt at M42 & M43

Last night was the clearest night I can recall in a long time, so enjoyed a superb observing session with my 8” Dobs, mainly taking in the Orion Nebula, and probably the best views I’ve had so far of M81 and M82 from my Bortle 4 North Yorkshire garden. 
I couldn’t resist a go at a DSO photo - only tried planetary/lunar up to that point, so was curious as to what could be done with a non driven mount and iPhone. 
This was the attempt at M42. Taken using a SL 8” Dobs, iPhone 12 Pro with a Celestron Nex YZ phone dock. Standard iOS camera app using at 2x telephoto on a 32mm Plossl. I did try Night Cap but results were smudged. It was getting late and cold so didn’t play around with settings for long so any tips on getting the most out of this basic set up would be welcome. I’m not really intending to go fully down the AP route as prefer visual, but having seen this I’m interested in at least trying my DSLR on a Virtuoso tracked mount to see what can be done. 
Thanks

AD

F829408C-ACB5-4BFF-955A-8771AF503BA4.thumb.jpeg.5dd65555eeedbc664d40af7780a43c62.jpeg

Edited by Astro_Dad
Typo
  • Like 9

Looks good AD, and a lot better than my first ‘smudges’ some real detail in the nebulosity.

I know the feeling, always nice to capture something when viewing though the telescope. Maybe next try a DSLR with raw settings and see what you get. Try really short exposures, say 10 seconds at first.

And welcome to the long dark slippery slope of astrophotography!

• Thanks 1

Your virtuoso mount, I think you have the v2 through can't recall if 150p or 127mak, tracks in tiny left right up down movements so follows the target but doesn't track the rotation and you can image working within the mount's capabilities.

East to West and ideally under 55 °  is best as South or North star trails show faster. When stacking in say DSS choose intersection as that'll trim off the bits that don't overlap and some field rotation from the edges.

The longer the focal length used the shorter the exposure you'll likely get before star elongation shows. Though stacking using kappa sigma clipping helps round stars back.

Have fun have a go.

Edited by happy-kat
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @happy-kat for that - yes will be trying this with the 150p on the V2 mount.  I shared in another post my set up with a DSLR and the Astro Essentials barlow nose piece  - should work. Yet to buy the camera adapter to make the camera more flush with the scope but I’ll be experimenting in due course.  From example images I’ve seen it’s surprising what can be achieved with a tracked Alt Az mount - as you say no field curvature correction but keeping within the limits of the mount results should be OK. I’ve not yet tried stacking of deep sky targets- only planetary so thanks for advice there 👍

28 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

I would try without the barlow, as you have a truss scope with the virtuoso I would not extend it fully if it were needed to reach focus. The DSLR shutter release cable for this mount works a treat with the synscan pro app and my Canon.

Yes the Barlow nosepiece on Astro Essentials is threaded so I was really just using that to attach the camera - without the Barlow cell. Seems to be quite stable but the proper adapter would be better. Very good point and suggestion on the shutter release cable - will have a look at that! Sounds like you have more or less the same set up 👍