Narrowband

How it started, how it was, and how its going? Where to next!

So a couple of years ago, I decided to stick a DSLR on my primary scope. 

By this time, I had been a casual visual observer, enjoying the fact that I could show my friends and family something "stellar" (pun intended) 

However, one day after seeing a very crude picture of m101 from one of my colleagues at work. I decided, I could do better! Man, I should have just kept my mouth shut. 

So this started a long run down the rabbit hole, as you can imagine. I started with upgrading my EQ5 mount, with a Synscan goto, stuck bought a couple of adapters and stuck on my DSLR on top. A great mess of wires started to morph into an uncontrollable anaconda!! 

Once I tried to temporary tackle the wire issues, I realised I [removed word] my pictures were compared to others! So guiding was the next step. Soon after, I modded my DSLR and removed the filters from the sensor, and made a TEC cooler to strap at the back of the DSLR. 

I soon realised, that my punny little EQ5 wasn't meant to lug around a 200mm newtonian on the back, for astrophotography. So next logical step was to make it better, I tuned the heck out of my mount as really wasn't willing to spend another grand or so. 

Thereafter hoped onto the automation train, astroberry, diy auto-focuser, auto-guiding, dedicated astrocam. I soon realised, that my humble set up had now begun a mess of an uncontrollable anaconda. 

Despite, the pictures I was getting, which satisfied my ego sort of, my OCD for a cleaner, and more balanced setup was killing me. So this winter, I decided to get an EQ6R-Pro, another dedicated astrocam, PPBA, ZWO EAF, dew heaters, new dovetail plate. Still waiting on the camera, but this is where I am at. 

Having spend 1000s of pounds into this madness, I wonder, where does this rabbit hole end? Or am I almost at the end? 

I've attached some pictures of my journey, for your comments :)

IMG_20200530_213808_953.jpg

IMG_20200530_120321_714.jpg

IMG_20200619_221033_155.jpg

IMG_20200710_152913_573.jpg

IMG_20200718_030311_624.jpg

20200820_200804.jpg

IMG_20200927_203948_218.jpg

IMG_20220118_152127_235.jpg

• Like 2