Narrowband

ASIAIR to DSLR dummy battery power

Dinglem

I was pleased to get the new ASIAIR plus only to be disappointed to discover that the power outlets though adjustable, it was the amps that were adjustable and not the voltage, as I was hoping to power my DSLR with a dummy battery.

I therefore reverted to using normal batteries but soon realised that they only lasted about an hour each taking 300s subs, this was not going to work as I'd hoped once setup I could leave it to do it's thing without my intervention.

So I decided a DIY solution was required, I purchased some Buck converters, small project boxes and some 5.5 x 2.1mm plugs, I got several of each as a mate has just got a new EQ8R mount and it has 12v outlets that he can use to power his DSLR too.

I soldered some leads onto the boards, connected the input end to my Nevada PSU and my multi-meter to the output and adjusted the potentiometer until I had 8.4v, very easy to do. I tested it on the mount before putting the board in the project box, only to discover it was not quite deep enough for it to click together, so out came the black electrical tape. I then tested it on my setup and it works perfectly, powering up the camera straight away.

IMG_2972.jpg

IMG_2973.jpg

IMG_2974.jpg

IMG_2979.jpg

IMG_2980.jpg

• Like 2

I do something similar, to power my Canon's, but just a word of warning, check the buck converter under full load, as I've found some brands, supplied on a well known auction site, & even Amazon, to not be up to specification, and can fail in unpredictable ways, i.e. not supplying any current, and even overshooting voltage.... 

• 2 weeks later...

I have zero experience as an electrical engineer/technician and, for me, those DIY projects are a no-no. So, I need a ready-to-go solution and I looked online. Based on your experience, can the "Ramsun ACK-E12 12V-24V Step-dow Adapter cable" (you can find t on Amazon) be a valid alternative?

Davide

Edited by Davide73

• 1 month later...
On 05/02/2022 at 17:12, Davide73 said:

I have zero experience as an electrical engineer/technician and, for me, those DIY projects are a no-no. So, I need a ready-to-go solution and I looked online. Based on your experience, can the "Ramsun ACK-E12 12V-24V Step-dow Adapter cable" (you can find t on Amazon) be a valid alternative?

Davide

Learn by my mistake and be cautious and get yourself a cheap multi-meter at the same time - just to check the output voltage is what you want... My experience of a similar device: "Raeisusp 12V-24V step-down ACK-E8" was that the voltage was too high for my 550D (and probably the other cameras it claimed compatible) , and even worse the voltage-out varied by the voltage-in!

Luckily my camera wasn't damaged after it shutdown (thank you Canon).  I checked the module's label to find the output was proportional to the input : It stated 12v/24v  8.4V/8.7V!  So running at 13.4V pushed the supplied voltage too high for the camera to handle. I opened up the module and replaced the circuit with an adjustable one set to 8.1V and all has been good since.

• 5 months later...

So I'm thinking of getting g one of these buck converter type things to power my 1100d from the asiair.

Amazon has hundred of options with various reviews... but at the risk of not wanting to fry my camera which ones are recommended?

My input to the asiair is 12v 5a and I THINK I need 7.4v for the 1100d (that is what a battery for the 1100d says anyway??? (pic attached).

I'm not sure what amps would be required into the 1100d though?

1662891318383251608745472469625.jpg