Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Into the Core of M33

Rodd

About 32 hours of data with TOA 130 and .7x reducer.  I concentrated on teh core.  The first image is a crop of the core.  The second image is the whole galaxy to the same scale.  I think the crop is easier to look at, but I wanted to include the whole image.

2004605496_Cropup2.thumb.jpg.b0071c71b7477bbaff7204278719eb20.jpg

Image17-up.thumb.jpg.b53c813fb7d44111776d9552c74c700b.jpg

• Like 30

I have been tinkering with the dust lanes.  They are more clearly seen in this version--but it might be at the expense of depth.  please let me know which you prefer--the initial crop, or this one.  I can';t quite put my finger on it and I am torn.  

x11.thumb.jpg.bf67206969ec1da1d0371615df0780ca.jpg

Edited by Rodd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wimvb said:

Great image, Rodd. I like crop 1 better, but maybe a dose of SCNR green on the second version would give that an edge.

Well, I removed a bit of red from #1 because the dust should not be pink. That happens when the Ha is inserted too broadly. I did not think of green. You make a good point.  

Great images Rodd! I agree with Wim that a bit of SCNRgreen could help the second one to be the winner. Amazing how much more detail can be seen in the core of M33 compared to M31. I assume it means that the center of M31 is much hotter.

20 minutes ago, gorann said:

Great images Rodd! I agree with Wim that a bit of SCNRgreen could help the second one to be the winner. Amazing how much more detail can be seen in the core of M33 compared to M31. I assume it means that the center of M31 is much hotter.

Thanks Goran--I'll see about scnr green--I have come to like #1.  If I remove green, the dust will be red again (pink);.  I'll give it a try and see.  Regarding M31--not sure why.  M33 is even a bit farther away than M31 and you can see more.  I expect it might have something to do with the angle we see it at.  M33 is almost face on while M31 is at an angle.  But who knows.

14 hours ago, wimvb said:

but maybe a dose of SCNR green on the second version would give that an edge.

52 minutes ago, gorann said:

I agree with Wim that a bit of SCNRgreen could help the second one to be the winner.

Well--not quite SCNR green as I do not have access to PI at present, but close enough for Jazz as they say.

zz.thumb.jpg.ffaea3f7d25e3987245918cde95c1388.jpg

• Like 1

Better.

I think that we see more detail in the core of M 33 as compared to M 31, simply because M 33 is a different type of galaxy. M 31 and the Milky Way have a massive black hole at the centre, with a bulge of (old) stars. M 33 lacks both a central black hole and a bulge, it's a pure disc galaxy. It also has a much higher rate of star formation than M 31.

12 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Better.

I think that we see more detail in the core of M 33 as compared to M 31, simply because M 33 is a different type of galaxy. M 31 and the Milky Way have a massive black hole at the centre, with a bulge of (old) stars. M 33 lacks both a central black hole and a bulge, it's a pure disc galaxy. It also has a much higher rate of star formation than M 31.

That is true--thats quite a difference in morphology.  The angle of incident probably does play a role too, though, I would think.  Its quite different

5 minutes ago, wimvb said:

It would be interesting to see a galaxy like M33 edge on. Andromeda probably looks like ngc 891 when viewed edge on.

https://www.astrobin.com/rv9f2p/

I think the dust lane in M31 is bent a bit--distorted from interacting with a companion.  It would be interesting to see M33.  Its hard to imagine a single dust lane