Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How often do you refocus

iwols

I focus at the beginning of a session using the UVIR filter and then have focus offsets for the others (only one in my case as I have OSC) so the focuser moves if filters are swapped. I then have my session set to refocus after a flip and again if the HFR and/or temperature changes by a set amount.

• Like 1

I don't have a temperature sensor (yet?) so I've set my EAF to refocus every 30min. Takes about 3 minutes for the focus routine to run and then it's back to imaging, so I don't feel like I'm losing that much time. I haven't had any problems with this approach, yet, and there have been quite a few nights when the temperature dropped significantly throughout the session.

I still tend to be in  attendance during an imaging session so keep a close eye on the FWHM trend line as the subs come in. If it starts to trend up and sky conditions remain unchanged which I can check by looking at the guide star stats, then  I will refocus. It depends a lot on the elevation of the object and the orientation of the scopes, as well as how steady the ambient temperature is.

• Like 1

I use NINA, and with the advanced sequencer you can set it to refocus on the basis of a % increase in HFD. In theory this should be much more efficient than just picking a random time period or even a specific temperature change. I've not been using it long, but so far so good.

• Like 1

I check focus at the beginning of a session and check all filters. Generally most are parfocal but I do find this can vary with the temperature.   I then set up a sequence with all the filters that are of the same focus and if any are not I refocus at either the beginning of a session or the end and do them separately.  I do not have an autofocusser so have to do it manually,

Carole 

• Like 1