SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Synscan Wi-Fi dongle and stellariaum

Neil H

Hi I am trying to see if I can get Synscan Wi-Fi to work with stellariaum , when I go into telescope connection it can't link location , in settings locations it correct but in main screen when you ask telescope to goto it has a icon at bottom of screen to remind you location is not in synchronisedIMG_20220122_194043.thumb.jpg.bedb53535251a52f13e215d09d20fd3d.jpg

Hi yes I think so I will check again 

Yes I did I just checked , I think it's now got to a point of getting refund on Wi-Fi dongle and just use tablet for target info etc

Edited by Neil H
More info

16 hours ago, Neil H said:

Hi Steve yes I did and it didn't work that's when I was asked to try 11882

It did not register that the ip address you were trying had a  similar but different one to the default - I thought that may have been for your home network and you were using Station mode.

The PDF instructions I had left over when I had the wifi dongle says 192.168.4.1 port 11880 as default .  Note the instructions also state it will reset if powered up and not accessed.

What mode is it in (Access Point of Station Mode) and what mount are you connecting to? The mount type affects the baud rate to set (older mounts 9600 newer models 115200)?

You might be trying to access the ip address allocated to your phone/ipad connected to the wifi dongle instead of using the dongle ip address.  In which case try the default connection test with the defaults:

Test-NetConnection 192.168.4.1 -p 11880

I've attached the PDF if you have not got it to hand.

So if the defaults have not changed from the PDF then:

Access Point Mode

Should show up on the list of wifi connections on your phone/ipad

Station Mode

You'd need to have connected the dongle to another network and it will get a new ip address from that

Connection to Stellarmate

Will need the ipaddress/port & correct baud rate

I hope that helps rather than hinders the connection - it's been a while since I had the dongle.

Steve

synscanwifi_102.pdf

Hi Steve I think I tried most of that , I am going dongle less for the time being and see if they do a fix for Android 11, I will use stellariaum and sky safari for targets 

May be in the future if I go back to a dongle we could meet up as see if you can make it all work I am just down the road from you in Luton

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Neil H said:

...and see if they do a fix for Android 11...

Synscan 1.19.15 works with Android 11. Not sure if that's what you were referring to. I recently bought a Synscan Wi-Fi dongle and downloaded the app beforehand. Stock was 1.19.0 (?) but that just opened and closed immediately on A11. However, 1.19.15 worked fine so I went ahead with my order.  HTH.

• Like 1

Hi I did have that software but it had stars missing from lists and all stars in the plough were out of altitude you won't know till you link to your telescope that's when you find out it's not working it will not goto any star unless it's Polaris 

1 hour ago, Neil H said:

Hi I did have that software but it had stars missing from lists and all stars in the plough were out of altitude you won't know till you link to your telescope that's when you find out it's not working it will not goto any star unless it's Polaris 

Assuming you're talking about Synscan Pro, that doesn't reflect my experience so far. I've only used it "in anger" a couple of times so far though. I used Rigel and Procyon plus "North level" for set-up (and GPS-derived location) . After which (from memory) it went to the Hyades, Plaiedes, Beehive, ET/Owl and double clusters and Polaris, Castor and Alcor/Mizar plus it landed almost spot on with M42...all without issue. It didn't quite centre any of them but it was in the FOV (20 or 9mm EP in 500mm FL, so x25 or x55).

Edited by wulfrun

11 hours ago, wulfrun said:

Assuming you're talking about Synscan Pro, that doesn't reflect my experience so far. I've only used it "in anger" a couple of times so far though. I used Rigel and Procyon plus "North level" for set-up (and GPS-derived location) . After which (from memory) it went to the Hyades, Plaiedes, Beehive, ET/Owl and double clusters and Polaris, Castor and Alcor/Mizar plus it landed almost spot on with M42...all without issue. It didn't quite centre any of them but it was in the FOV (20 or 9mm EP in 500mm FL, so x25 or x55).

Go to this thread when Neil tries search stars they dont come up although they do on mine and his mount refuses to go to any stars in Ursa Major and Kochab but will go to Polaris its really strange its like the app has only partially installed but works up to a point.

3 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

Go to this thread when Neil tries search stars they dont come up although they do on mine and his mount refuses to go to any stars in Ursa Major and Kochab but will go to Polaris its really strange its like the app has only partially installed but works up to a point.

OK, I think I'm misunderstanding the issue then. I'm not using any other App in conjunction with Synscan so what I said isn't really relevant.

It's the Synscan app if you or I go on star then named star and type in any star say Capella it will bring it up and you can click on it, on Neil's either the keyboard doesn't come up or when you can search type in the star it does not show up to click on. 

It's really strange I cannot get my head around it. 

If he then goes into skysafari 6 clicks on a star says its not above horizon it said Dubhe will only rise at 11.35pm obviously wrong, I said is your date/time/location wrong but they are all correct it's really frustrating especially for Neil.