SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Bresser 127l Refractor mosaic

neil phillips

About 40 degrees last night reasonable seeing. The bresser chinese achro is very focusing critical. I find a slight turn of the focuser can make the difference between a sharp and soft stack. Not easy manually as a lot of shake on a EQ5 but pretty much got close last night i think. Quite pleased with this. Dont forget its only 5 " and mass produced chinese optics. They all show varying degrees of under or over corrected lenses. But this doesnt stop them performing. Infact after getting a certain jupiter image with this scope i was convinced it was a good one. But for one reason or another seemed  hard to coax good lunar performance out of it. likely that critical focussing. And not nailing it. And Filter choice is important with these refractors. I used the Baarder 495nm longpass stacked with a QHY UV IR CUT. Under good seeing it really sharpens up these chinese optics. Put new flocking on the dew sheild. and made a dew shield extension. Helps with that street light i have to capture above. 

Captured at F8 drizzled 1.5 downsized to 70%

Bresser 127l.tif 90.tif check.tif sgl now.png

DSC00154.JPG

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kimboman said:

Great photos, you have a similar problem me that of local street lighting 

17 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Wonderful images!

Thanks Sunshine. i get immense pleasure at making affordable telescopes sing. And this one cost me £170. its nice to have a large refractor. Wouldnt have dreamed of a big refractor like this when i was younger, for these prices. How times have changed. It also shows why these scopes have such a good rep.  Would love a big Tak of course. My missus wouldnt though. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, neil phillips said:

About 40 degrees last night reasonable seeing. The bresser chinese achro is very focusing critical. I find a slight turn of the focuser can make the difference between a sharp and soft stack. Not easy manually as a lot of shake on a EQ5 but pretty much got close last night i think. Quite pleased with this. Dont forget its only 5 " and mass produced chinese optics. They all show varying degrees of under or over corrected lenses. But this doesnt stop them performing. Infact after getting a certain jupiter image with this scope i was convinced it was a good one. But for one reason or another seemed  hard to coax good lunar performance out of it. likely that critical focussing. And not nailing it. And Filter choice is important with these refractors. I used the Baarder 495nm longpass stacked with a QHY UV IR CUT. Under good seeing it really sharpens up these chinese optics. Put new flocking on the dew sheild. and made a dew shield extension. Helps with that street light i have to capture above. 

Captured at F8 drizzled 1.5 downsized to 51 60 75 % the 75% holding quite well i think. 

Bresser 127l. png.png con 75.png 60.png 51.png

Bresser 127l. png.png con 75.png 60.png

Bresser 127l. png.png con 75.png

DSC00210.jpg

DSC00212.jpg

That’s a really good image Neil. You have certainly made the 127 “sing” as you hoped for. Loads of fine detail there. I’m blessed with no street lights yet around here but over the years neighbours seem intent on burning more and more outside lights, often from dusk to dawn. Some of the properties are like Blackpool illuminations !!

1 hour ago, Trevor N said:

That’s a really good image Neil. You have certainly made the 127 “sing” as you hoped for. Loads of fine detail there. I’m blessed with no street lights yet around here but over the years neighbours seem intent on burning more and more outside lights, often from dusk to dawn. Some of the properties are like Blackpool illuminations !!

Cheers Trevor. still working on it lol. That street light is a thorn in my side. Was happy to get the refractor performing better. Just need to get the process right