SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Crab nebula

Parallax

This is a combination of an unusual mix of filters. I set out with the intention of getting LRGB data but the clouds rolled in before I could get the Red (21 Feb 09). Now with the moon up, I can only get some Ha. So I used the Ha for the Red - L:Ha:G:B.

L - 8 x 180s

G & B - 7 x 240s binned 2x2

Ha - 8 x 300s

Imaged - Explorer 200, Atik 16ics

Guided - ST80, SPC900NC, PHD

Processed - DSS, PSCS

It's taken ages to process the data into something usable, and is the best I can come up with so far.

Steve

post-14051-133877359206_thumb.jpg

Very, very nice detail and color...very natural looking but still not over processed to reveal the shape and stars within the nebula, as well as in the background...Well done mate on a tough target.

Doug

Thanks for the comments.

This was my first go at the Crab and I'm fairly happy with it (there I go again, being too self critical). It's a bit late in the year really to have another go, so I will revisit it next year.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

Great picture of M1.

I have a similar setup to yours. I usually image with my 80ED and ST102 (guide) but haven't tried the Explorer 200 and the ST102 (guide). Do you not find the newt too heavy to guide with your HEQ5 Pro mount? I have to use 3 weights to balance the 200 and 102. I usually just use the newt for planetary and lunar imaging (unguided) with a modded webcam.

When imaging with your 200, do use the default settings for PHD guiding and mount tracking speed or do you tweak them a little? The reason I'm asking is because I often get oval stars even when I'm accurately polar aligned. Maybe this could be corrected with agressiveness and/or tracking speed adjustment? Don't get many cloud-free nights to try out my ideas!

Hi Steve,

Great picture of M1.

I have a similar setup to yours. I usually image with my 80ED and ST102 (guide) but haven't tried the Explorer 200 and the ST102 (guide). Do you not find the newt too heavy to guide with your HEQ5 Pro mount? I have to use 3 weights to balance the 200 and 102. I usually just use the newt for planetary and lunar imaging (unguided) with a modded webcam.

When imaging with your 200, do use the default settings for PHD guiding and mount tracking speed or do you tweak them a little? The reason I'm asking is because I often get oval stars even when I'm accurately polar aligned. Maybe this could be corrected with agressiveness and/or tracking speed adjustment? Don't get many cloud-free nights to try out my ideas!

I do think that I am on the limit of the HEQ5 pro. I bought the longer counterweight bar so that I didn't have to increase the number weights (2 x 5 Kgs).

Generally speaking, yes, I do leave PHD on the defaults, although sometimes, if the "star doesn't move enough", then I have tweaked the agressiveness. Could your oval stars be down to differential flexure? I know mine are!

Steve

Could your oval stars be down to differential flexure? I know mine are!

Steve

My oval stars might be due to flexure. Its only slight but definitely visible at 100% image size (but not at, say, 50%). My tube rings are just the ones that came with the scope (clam shell style, held by single screw) for both imaging and guide scope. I tighten them as much as possible, but only using my fingers. I guess solid rings with three screws would be better?

Archived