Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Alternate.nl

In late August 2021 I ordered a powerful gaming MSI GS66 laptop (i7, 32 GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3070) from Alternate.nl, partly as a powerful image processing machine, but primarily for my son's studies to run CAD/CAM software (and of course his gaming). The machine had an annoying habit of freezing, not with the more usual BSOD, but simply seizing up, responding only to the power switch. This happened with increasing frequency, up to three or four times an afternoon or evening. We tried installing new drivers, clean windows install, updating all software we could think of, adding an external cooler, as it seemed to be running hotter than my ASUS i9 , all to no avail. On November 13, we called the supplier, who said we should  return the machine for repairs to MSI. Fair enough.

MSI replaced the motherboard, according to the information they supplied us upon its return, so my son happily installed all the software (we had wiped the machine clean before returning it), and set off running some stuff. Two hours later he reported the machine had frozen 3 times in exactly the same way.

I phoned the supplier reporting the problem, stating we had no confidence in this machine any more. We wanted either our money back, or replacement by a similar ASUS machine they had in stock. They stated that wasn't possible, they first wanted to have their technicians check the machine out. After a check we would decide what the next option  was.

The machine was returned to the supplier December 20. January 10 I enquired about the status, and they said they had sent it to MSI, which was not what we had agreed upon. A week later, my son still had to use a rather ancient laptop for his studies. I decided to demand a refund. They refused, and said it was impossible, and that the machine had been repaired and would be with us shortly. I stated that this was not what we had agreed upon in December, and questioned their assertion they did not have a technical department to carry out repairs. Previously they had promised to have their own technicians look at the machine, and then later they state there is no technical department. I reiterated my demand to cancel the purchase yesterday, and gave them 2 weeks to send a refund. No answer for almost two days.

I bought my son a different machine (same ASUS beast I have: i9, 32GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3070) so he can work properly. This arrived yesterday, and with all the software installed hasn't once frozen.

Yesterday evening they sent an email stating the machine will be arriving today. I replied immediately that they had apparently failed to read my previous email. This morning I get a reply that they cannot cancel the purchase and send a refund, and that a machine freezing repeatedly isn't a sufficient reason to cancel the purchase. I have let them know that a machine freezing repeatedly makes it unfit for purpose. I will seek legal advice on what to do when the machine arrives.

Out of the roughly 4 months and 3 weeks we have been owner of this machine, we have actually had it in the house for only half that time. In that same time my ASUS machine worked essentially flawlessly, with just two crashes (BSOD style) in several months of use.

Needless to say I do not think I will be using their services again.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1