Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

JAN 19TH - LANGRENUS, VENDELINUS, PETAVIUS AND FURNERIUS.

paulastro

I observed with the Tecnosky 102ED F7 from about 9.30pm to just after 11pm. The seeing was very tremulous at first, but improved as the session went on

The highlight was the four most prominent craters in a line, on the E limb. From the N -

LANGRENUS - Nice broad terraces on the E side of the central peaks, the W side was in shadow.

VENDELINUS - A complex crater, with Lame intruding into the NE wall. Interesting detail on the floor of V when seeing allowed.

PETAVIUS - As usual it rather stole the show. A jumble of central peaks, with the its fine rille running SW from the peaks to the crater wall. Particularly fine terraces, particularly on the E walls. Some fine surface detail in better moments, including hints of the rest of the rille system.  Looking at Petavius, I can't help thinking how even more spectacular it would appear if it were positioned at the centre of the disc.

FURNERIUS - With its greatly eroded N walls and the large Furnerius B on the NE part of the floor. Complicated floor detail in better moments.

Observed with the binoviwer and 16.8 Orthos, giving around x175. The detail was very fine at times.  Below is a single frame showing the phase and a crop highlighting the four craters mentioned. Of course these are low res compared with what could be seen visually.

1757396065_P1190505Petavius.thumb.jpg.a411177c974fdef66993bcda5a3c0392.jpg

1153454926_P1190505PetaviusetcCrop.jpg.c0e8a30b3287741ee533e22c68f60198.jpg

• Like 14

Very nice pic's Paul.

I was observing Langrenus on the same night and thought I'd doodle it and Petavius. It's been a while since I've put pencil to paper and felt I needed to get back on the horse so to speak. Not a real horse of course as that would be silly!

961426247_2022-01-2115_30_35.thumb.jpg.f81f6ea5fee3ec76eee59520d4916bf4.jpg

712119895_2022-01-2115_31_42.jpg.4e173ccf2d50582de196b8a65ad6ab30.jpg

IMG_20220124_085329.thumb.jpg.677b94a6a469abdcb6e9d23dc2d220ae.jpg

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Alkaid said:

Really nice Paul.  That 102ED seems to be pulling it's weight.   Is it one of you goto scopes for Luna?

Thank you Alkaid.  Well,  I have an Altair 80 ED-R, theTecnosky 102 ED F7 and 6 inch F6 TS  Newtonian ota.  For the planets, moon and  solar the 102 is my goto scope. I use the 80 ED for the same objects if I have an unexpected clear patch or I need to play away  for some reason and I can't take the.100 ED.  I use these two scopes on my Scopetech Zero mount, so the 100ED gets the lions share of sky time.

The TS is used for rare occassions when I'm having a deep sky only session, and when I go to Kelling, though I'm likely to take the 102 ED as well to Kelling as there are usually some planets on view.

The 102 is indeed my goto option for the Moon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swoop1 said:

Nice description Paul. it is sessions like yours that make me wonder when deep sky aficionado's complain about the moon.

Well, if observers don't like the Moon, I think there is something wrong with them, but its their loss 😊.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Very nice pic's Paul.

I was observing Langrenus on the same night and thought I'd doodle it and Petavius. It's been a while since I've put pencil to paper and felt I needed to get back on the horse so to speak. Not a real horse of course as that would be silly!

961426247_2022-01-2115_30_35.thumb.jpg.f81f6ea5fee3ec76eee59520d4916bf4.jpg

712119895_2022-01-2115_31_42.jpg.4e173ccf2d50582de196b8a65ad6ab30.jpg

Mmm, I could see a lot more in my 102ED, it must have been an aperture thing.

Only joking Mike! 🤣  Excellent drawings, I'm glad you're back with your pencil and rubber 😊.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Mmm, I could see a lot more in my 102ED, it must have been an aperture thing.

Only joking Mike! 🤣  Excellent drawings, I'm glad you're back with your pencil and rubber 😊.

Of course you can always see more than you can draw, and I have no doubt your extra 2mm aperture gives your scope the edge, after all, aperture is king isn't it? :icon_cyclops_ani:

• Haha 1

Great report @paulastro and fabulous pictures, especially the closeup! I was observing that area the other night and it's lovely to see such a detailed photo. 

Fantastic drawings @mikeDnight. That same session I started to try and draw what I was seeing and gave up. Far too difficult for me. I really appreciate the skill involved in producing sketches like yours.

Malcolm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Great observations, backed up by lovely images and the usual fine illustrations by Mike. I also took the opportunity to view the evening terminator at much the same time, on this occasion with my Celestron 70mm Travelscope, even a low power view was rewarding. Petavius is one of my favourite craters. 

• Like 1

On 23/01/2022 at 00:22, BRADLEY 1953 said:

Great observations, backed up by lovely images and the usual fine illustrations by Mike. I also took the opportunity to view the evening terminator at much the same time, on this occasion with my Celestron 70mm Travelscope, even a low power view was rewarding. Petavius is one of my favourite craters. 

Don't you have a 6" AstroPhysics Chris, and you're enjoying a 70mm Travelscope? I get it, but can't help finding it amusing. :happy11:

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Mike JW said:

Mike - only just spotted your sketches. (A bit late to the party).

They work well and capture the feel of the various craters. I wish I had your artistic talent.

Mike

Thanks Mike. That's a real complement comming from you, as I think you are an outstanding visual observer. Your sketches always thrill me and never fail to impress and inspire me. :happy11:

I take the view that to encourage each other and to offer helpful thoughts (positive criticism) is a far better way to live life than to mouth off, be critical/negative...... as so often happens in forums and of course social media. I feel I have much to learn both in the observing as well as the sketching.

Many thanks for your encouragement.

Mike

• Like 1