SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Best small refractor!

Ok, I need some help, I might not buy it now, but will consider it. By far, what is your favorite small refractor(Any size you think is small!) up till now. I won't consider, you know, telescopes that are stopped manufactured, long waiting list ones, so don't comment those!

Edited by refractor2345
Spelling
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, refractor2345 said:

Ok, I need some help, I might not buy it now, but will consider it. By far, what is your favorite small refractor(60-80mm!) up till now. I won't consider, you know, telescopes that are stopped manufactured, long waiting list ones, so don't comment those!

What do you want to use it for, visual, imaging? What targets?

23 minutes ago, Robindonne said:

I cant answer yet but i hope someone describes again how well that FOA-60q performs. For the op but also to push me to order one.  

I don’t think anyone can answer based on the info supplied so far.

• Like 1

Takahashi FC-76DCU - incredible optical quality in a beautiful and very lightweight package.

It's far from cheap but it's not silly money either and is normally in stock, although I notice that at the moment FLO are quoting 7-10 days waiting time for orders.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Robindonne said:

I cant answer yet but i hope someone describes again how well that FOA-60q performs. For the op but also to push me to order one.  

OK, I’ll fall for it.

The FOA 60Q is the scope that has amazed me most. I’ll use that word again: perfection

😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

OK, I’ll fall for it.

The FOA 60Q is the scope that has amazed me most. I’ll use that word again: perfection

😊

I’ll agree with Jeremy on this, the FOA-60Q is a superb scope and perfection… just keeps taking magnification and delivering (although 60mm will always have a limit).

However, the FC-76DCU is also a lovely, versatile scope and arguably the extra 16mm aperture makes it a touch more useful for a bit of deep sky work too 🤔

The little FS-60CB (with or without extender) is also very capable too.

You can’t go wrong with any of them 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, johninderby said:

What budget? Under £500.00 or under £1,000.00 etc.

4 hours ago, John said:

If the OP comes back with a budget of a couple of hundred £ we might have to have a rethink ! :smiley:

As I said I'm not considering buying now, but the budget can be anything, ANYTHING, under, 10,000 quid's, yes, you heard me right budgets 10,000 quid's FOR OTA ONLY although I might love to spend less, you know buy some other replacement stuff for my broken filters etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, refractor2345 said:

Strict Visual, kind of portable, widefield with planetary nebulae and general deep sky, TBH I think a 6 inch to 8 inch might be the top

I thought you said a small refractor? Have you seen a 6” refractor, let alone an 8”? Not exactly small or even kind of portable.

I can’t comment because it is too broad a question. Widefield is widefield, planetary nebulae are small and tend to require high power and greater resolution ie aperture.

What scopes do you have, or have you had? Why will you mount it on? Is it to use at home or to take to dark sites or even on an aircraft travelling?

Are you genuinely looking to buy something?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, refractor2345 said:

As I said I'm not considering buying now, but the budget can be anything, ANYTHING, under, 10,000 quid's, yes, you heard me right budgets 10,000 quid's FOR OTA ONLY although I might love to spend less, you know buy some other replacement stuff for my broken filters etc.

Five FOA 60Qs

• Haha 6

17 hours ago, refractor2345 said:

By far, what is your favorite small refractor(60-80mm!)

3 hours ago, refractor2345 said:

Strict Visual, kind of portable, widefield with planetary nebulae and general deep sky, TBH I think a 6 inch to 8 inch might be the top

I’m really confused! 

• Like 2

Hello @refractor2345

I don’t think your first language is English so maybe something is getting lost in translation…..

You started by asking about small 60 to 80mm refractors and then start talking about 6 to 8 inch scopes which are very large refractors, or are you talking about reflectors which is the normal type of scope in this size range.

You need to clarify.

Either way you appear to have a good budget, so you will have a good choice when stock levels improve.

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 3

Ok, sorry for the contradictory sentences, but what I meant was portable, (It is corrected!) but for a 21 inch refractor user (They exist, I am not one) A 6 inch is portable, and for me it definitely is, (Cause I own a 12 inch dob, solid tube, and the zerochromat are really light weight I hear!) 

2 hours ago, dweller25 said:

Hello @refractor2345

I don’t think your first language is English so maybe something is getting lost in translation…..

You started by asking about small 60 to 80mm refractors and then start talking about 6 to 8 inch scopes which are very large refractors, or are you talking about reflectors which is the normal type of scope in this size range.

You need to clarify.

Either way you appear to have a good budget, so you will have a good choice when stock levels improve.

Uh, yeah I am not perfect in English, but I commented with other stuff on my brain, so missed I commented 60-80mm refractor so, sorry

4 hours ago, Stu said:

I thought you said a small refractor? Have you seen a 6” refractor, let alone an 8”? Not exactly small or even kind of portable.

I can’t comment because it is too broad a question. Widefield is widefield, planetary nebulae are small and tend to require high power and greater resolution ie aperture.

What scopes do you have, or have you had? Why will you mount it on? Is it to use at home or to take to dark sites or even on an aircraft travelling?

Are you genuinely looking to buy something?

I have a 70mm achromat, 66mm apochromat, 80mm apochromat, 150mm apochromat (f/8!), 12 and 16 inch dobsonian, 6 and 8 inch newtonian 

I will observe from home, still doesn't hurt to take to a star party

I didn't understand this:

4 hours ago, Stu said:

Why will you mount it on?

Did you mean, what will you mount it on?

And yes, I am going to buy it.

Umm, I will like high power observing with gobular clusters and planetary nebulae!