Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Need new 2x barlow

cpsTN

For reference here, my current telescope is the Celestron Omni 150, the 150mm f/5 Newt on Orion's Skyview Pro manual mount, with the Moon as my primary target, along with planets and Open Clusters.

For years and years, I have used an Orion 2x shorty barlow, the old style without filter threads. It was used when I bought it. During my time of using it, I have misplaced the set screws and the lens is rattling a little within the cell. As an upgrade, to go with my recently acquired 10mm ES52 eyepiece, I was thinking of getting a Televue 2x instead of a new shorty. To my surprise, though, I have been told by one person that at the price points of the eyepieces I have begun to aquire, beginning with the aforementioned ES52, I wouild not see a noticalbe differnce between the newer Orion 2x shorty and a Televue 2x. I have also been told that my Orion 3x trimag barlow in on-par with or better optically then the Televue 3x barlow. While I am more inclined to believe the 3x trimag statement, I am having difficulty with the ascertain of equitable quality of the 2x shorty and 2x Televue, especially given Televue's high-quality reputation. I would appreciate any further input on this situation. Thank You. 

Is the Orion 2x the Orion Shorty-Plus?  If so, it is the same as the Celestron Ultima and Parks Gold Series which were all 3 element, Japanese made Barlows of very high quality.  If it was the regular vintage Shorty, then it is of decent quality.

I have a 1998 vintage Tele Vue 2x Barlow.  It performs basically the same as the Shorty-Plus and Meade 140 APO 2x Barlow and slightly behind the Orion Deluxe 2x.  All were made in Japan.  All are exceptional performers.  Only the Tele Vue is still available new, though.

• 5 weeks later...