Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vintage Limer refractor

Hello All,

Wondering if anyone could shed a little light on the history or original brand for my 60mm Limer Refractor. 

Made in Japan, produces good views of the plants and moon - given its limited lens.  I am trying to find out a little more about it’s heritage and background. Should anyone have one or know more I’d be very keen to hear.

I have also raised this topic on another forum but hope that this may reach a few more enthusiasts.

regards Justin 

561A8995-B2D1-4764-9DFF-34734C8F965F.jpeg

656B2AEC-2731-4903-980D-64C5DDA9E7EA.jpeg

090E5D73-78A9-4D69-B268-16AD76DEB8D4.jpeg

6AEBC790-6E02-4BCD-9644-6A719E67E604.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi, lovely looking thing.

I'm afraid that I can't add anything substantive.  

I'm guessing from the crackle finish that it's all metal? If that is the case that would very loosely date it as 70's, possibly 60's. Most small refractors seemed to have gone plastic by the 80's.

I can only speculate, but it was quite  common with US firms in particular to rebrand Japanese equipment with their own trading name, and I wonder if this is perhaps along those lines?

A very, very similar refractor was marketed under the Asahi Pentax brand name back in the 1960's. This is the focuser from one of those Asahi Pentax scopes and as you can see, it looks practically indentical to the one on your Limer branded scope:

Asahi Pentax 60mm - modernizing tips? - Classic Telescopes - Cloudy Nights

These scopes were also produced under a number of other brand names at around that time.

• Like 1

Hi gents 

thank you both very much for taking the time to respond. I have to say it’s an absolute match to the Asahi - I have checked and re checked the photos a few times. Incidentally that’s the exact suggestion from another forum that I asked the question on. 

Roy - yes it’s an all metal tube.

regards Justin 

• Like 2