Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DIY dovetail mounting plate.

PhilPassmore

This is just a quicky in my series of DIY (mis) adventures. I rather fancied the idea of one of the nice big chunky 'Losmandy' style dovetail plates, to complement the rigidity of my recently acquired EQ6 mount with my 150mm refractor (and also perhaps with a big reflector still under construction). However, they seemed quite expensive for what they are, so I just had to have a go myself. I bought a piece of flat aluminium 12mm thick and just over 70mm wide. Length is 500mm, and it cost me about £15. Originally the plan had been to mount the strip on an angle and mill the edge to the correct dovetail angle (which seems to be 60 or 30 degrees depending where you measure). It was however glaringly obvious that my dinky little mill just didn't have the capacity, so an alternative was sought. I have previously used a mitre chop saw with tungsten carbide tipped blade on aluminium, so I decided to give my similarly equiped table saw a go at the job. I wound the blade to the appropriate angle, and took it down to the minimum required to just deal with the metal thickness. I then took a whole load of very thin passes to cut first one side and then the other, using the saws fence to guide it. At this point, I have to say, probably in block capitals and underlined; if you are going to try this yourself, be bl@@dy careful. Use a pusher stick and keep your fingers miles from the blade. It will take no prisoners, and your digits will come off (literally) second best. Also wear good eye protection, as it makes a lot of very fine chips! 

It actually produces a reasonable finish, even if not milling machine standard. All edges were deburred, then it was drilled and countersunk to suit the mounting points I required. 20220118_113428.thumb.jpg.55f37df13d34478a46835045f7c7baae.jpg20220118_113359.thumb.jpg.31bff1047e556da2f241fcc2fc748254.jpg