Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first attempt at Andromeda

Over Christmas I finally decided it was time to try imaging Andromeda (not sure why I left it so long), I had a week and a half off, so plenty of time to wait for the perfect night....... It was cloudy all night, every night apart from a few hours on one evening when I rushed out for a very quick imaging session on Andromeda.

I was aiming to get 2 hours of exposure doing 60 x 2 min exposures however when I went to stack the images I realized that almost half of them were unusable. They had this weird double star effect which I haven't seen before. I thought this was maybe caused by wind making the mount wobble as I use a lightweight camera tripod which makes my setup quite top heavy. But if anyone has another diagnosis please let me know! Example image: 2021-12-26_19-46-02___120.00s_0029.cr2

Anyways, in future I think I will be using shorter 60 second or 30 second exposures to try and increase the proportion of usable frames.

Overall I was really happy with the resulting image, this was the first time I have gone in depth on the processing side of things. I feel I have to give a big thanks to Nebula Photos on youtube who had a great tutorial on processing Andromeda in GIMP. The final image was made up using 32 x 2 min lights, 20 x 2 min darks, 30 bias frames, darks and lights were taken using Nina, stacked in DeepSkyStacker and edited in GIMP and StarNet++. Image taken using WO Z73, iOptron SkyGuider Pro, Canon 600D (unmodified).

978957015_moderatestretch5starlessandmoderatestretch2starsfinal.thumb.jpg.0d064e5dc3f00d5df144665f0c74bf89.jpg

I have also included the original stacked image if anyone wants to have a go at processing it as well, I would be interested to see anyone can pull out more from this data! Any tips/feedback would be appreciated :) 

Clear skies!

Andromeda removed bad frames manual save 17.01.22.TIF

• Like 12

Nice image.

I am not sure about the bad frames with double stars being wind.
Although your setup is pretty lightweight (I started with the WO73 and Canon 600D, I love the scope and still have it as I can't bear to part with it) a good sturdy mount and tripod does make life easier. But after saying that I would have thought wind would not necessarily give two distinct images of each bright star but be more blurry and give elongated stars. Also scope is pretty small and unless a gale wind is not particularly going to be a big issue (I would have thought - could be wrong).
It looks more like a jump in the tracking, or something moved suddenly.

image.png.29f6e817d2eaeb97c6a8d4718aa4436f.png

Steve 

On 18/01/2022 at 10:18, RoloFanatic said:

Over Christmas I finally decided it was time to try imaging Andromeda (not sure why I left it so long), I had a week and a half off, so plenty of time to wait for the perfect night....... It was cloudy all night, every night apart from a few hours on one evening when I rushed out for a very quick imaging session on Andromeda.

I was aiming to get 2 hours of exposure doing 60 x 2 min exposures however when I went to stack the images I realized that almost half of them were unusable. They had this weird double star effect which I haven't seen before. I thought this was maybe caused by wind making the mount wobble as I use a lightweight camera tripod which makes my setup quite top heavy. But if anyone has another diagnosis please let me know! Example image: 2021-12-26_19-46-02___120.00s_0029.cr2

Anyways, in future I think I will be using shorter 60 second or 30 second exposures to try and increase the proportion of usable frames.

Overall I was really happy with the resulting image, this was the first time I have gone in depth on the processing side of things. I feel I have to give a big thanks to Nebula Photos on youtube who had a great tutorial on processing Andromeda in GIMP. The final image was made up using 32 x 2 min lights, 20 x 2 min darks, 30 bias frames, darks and lights were taken using Nina, stacked in DeepSkyStacker and edited in GIMP and StarNet++. Image taken using WO Z73, iOptron SkyGuider Pro, Canon 600D (unmodified).

978957015_moderatestretch5starlessandmoderatestretch2starsfinal.thumb.jpg.0d064e5dc3f00d5df144665f0c74bf89.jpg

I have also included the original stacked image if anyone wants to have a go at processing it as well, I would be interested to see anyone can pull out more from this data! Any tips/feedback would be appreciated :) 

Clear skies!

Andromeda removed bad frames manual save 17.01.22.TIF 103.11 MB · 3 downloads

Nice image indeed. I used to do deep sky imaging with my 600D and never bothered with darks. Just lights, dark flats, flats and bias. All very quick to do. 

Edited by AstroNebulee