Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Synscan app and sky safari 6 pro doing strange things

Neil H

Hi everyone I am having problems so I will list equipment and then the problem I am having 

HEQ5pro  mount 

SW Wi-Fi dongle 

Samsung galaxy tab 7 Lite  running Android 11 

Ok I have the Synscan app downloaded from sky watcher web site now the main problem is most of the star list is missing  I was trying to find Alcor which does not come up in any list , wookie1965 sent me a video were he touched the magnify glass and as he typed in Alcor the star came up top of the list then touched goto 

When I do the same as I type the name in the star list goes off the screen and it cant find Alcor ?

The next problem is with sky safari 6 pro , this is hard to explain I can touch Polaris and the mount goes to it , then it I touch dubhe the mount does not move  but on the screen shows coordinates changing but mount is not moving ?

This does this on lots of targets the mount don't move but shows coordinates changing as if the mount is moving 

Also I found if I use this app on my old galaxy S6 it works and shows the full star list  . So I wonder if it's due to Android 11 

Edited by Neil H
More info

2 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

Have you checked that the altitude limits in Synscan are not set to values that exclude some targets?

I went through the app with him last night every setting is the same as mine lower limit 0°   upper limit 75°.    I have noticed that if you download from google play the app crashes on android 11.  I had to go to the skywatcher site download it and tick unknown sources for it to go in and work.

2 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

had to go to the skywatcher site download it and tick unknown sources for it to go in and work.

Yes, for some time now, you need to get the latest version from skywatcher direct.

2 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

lower limit 0°   upper limit 75°

Is that not the problem? I once accidentally set the upper limit to less than 90 degrees and both SynScan and Sky safari failed to go to a target near the zenith. It confused me for a while before I realized. I presume there's no physical reason for having the upper limit at 75? OTA hitting the tripod ?

Edited by Zermelo
  • Like 1

I thought that about the upper limit but the mount will go to Polaris but won't go to Kochab or Dubhe very strange. 

The numbers change as though its slewing but doesn't move wait for it to stop pick Caster goes straight to it very confusing. 

I said do a video and put it on here. 

9 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I thought that about the upper limit but the mount will go to Polaris but won't go to Kochab or Dubhe very strange. 

The numbers change as though its slewing but doesn't move wait for it to stop pick Caster goes straight to it very confusing. 

I said do a video and put it on here. 

As I understand it (and this may prove that I don't) this behaviour relates to the zenith, not the pole - altitude rather than declination. If you set the upper limit to θ then Synscan creates a "no go zone" around the zenith of angular size 2*(90 - θ) degrees. This allows you to protect your kit from potentially dangerous gotos, in situations like a long refractor mounted on a wide tripod with no extension tube. My own kit doesn't need this protection, so I set the maximum altitude to 90. Of course, the earth's rotation during the night will continually move objects into and out of any zenith protection zone, resulting in some (apparently) odd behaviour by Synscan - such as refusing to goto a star that it was quite happy with ten minutes previously.

IIRC you can still slew manually to objects near the zenith, it's only gotos that are filtered out.

• Like 1

Yes he could set it 90° that may work but another quirk is when I click the 🔎 I can put Alcor in it shows under and I can press on it however Neil's won't sometimes won't type anything in and when it does Alcor does not show up under the 🔎 bar to click on. 

This makes me think there is something wrong with the software on the tablet but what or why I have no idea strange that all these problems are on his even though Neil has downloaded from the skywatcher site. 

Just spoken to Neil the Synscan app now says if he puts any stars in Ursa Major in they are not at a latitude he can see them and Dubhe rises at 11.32pm got to be something wrong with the software been through all the settings the only thing different is his location which is obvious.