SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Northern Lights

Hi, I need a bit of advice. My missus bought me a 3 day trip to Iceland for Christmas (no not the supermarket) I am going about 12th Feb and hoping to see the northern lights. I have aCanon EOS 650D camera with  Canon15-55mm lens, Canon 50mm lens CanonCanon 17-85mm Lens  and a SIgma  EX dc HSM 10-20mm lens. Any advice on which lens would be the best to try and use to photopgraph Northern Lights and maybe a few hints on the settings for camera. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place

Edited by rasper

18-55 should be OK, go for lowest F number you can get, that might be around 3.4 (?) on that lens. Turn off auto-focus and then focus to infinity (there'll be  a line near your 18mm end). Pop on manual and play around with exposure times. A tripod and delayed or remote shutter release would be ideal. Some might say the Canon 50mm is to narrow a field but I think it makes up for it in its light capturing ability.

• Like 1

I used to use a Canon EOS 450D with the Canon 18-55mm EFS lens on a standard tripod for the Aurora when I lived in the Western Isles.

I normally shot ISO 800 or 1600 and varied the exposure to the strength of the Aurora from 10-30 seconds using Bulb and a manual remote shutter release. You really want as wider FOV as you can because they're normally spread out across the sky. The longer the exposure the more colour you'll get (reds & purples) but you give up some of the detail.

These are two images from one of the best shows I saw in the Western Isles on 25th October 2011. They are both with the lens set to 18mm and 800 ISO, the first is a 30s exposure and second is 45s, but the stars are starting to trail. And yes, the red was visible to the naked eye that night, the only time I've ever see it in 16 years living up there.

Have a great time and I hope you get to see a good display, it's some experience!

Aurora25102011-02.jpg.6997be0f98f53d7a3abadead600dbcfc.jpg

Aurora25102011-05.jpg.c9ad25922b19574d1f3d240eaff4a294.jpg

Edited by Budgie1
Spelling
  • Like 2

If the display is very active, and changing very quickly, also try shorter exposures at a higher ISO if required - though always expose enough to keep the histogram off the left edge.

The short exposures, say 2-3 seconds, will hopefully retain more of the structure of a fast-moving display.

Good luck!

Regards, Mike.

• Like 1

Was lucky enough to see them in Norway back in 2013.  We were using a Fuji bridge type and played around with the ISO but found 4s was a good exposure time.  They show up very well on camera but don't look anything like as vibrant to the naked eye.  The last image here is a better representation of what we saw. Fair bit of noise reduction applied to them all.

Best tip from me would be that as the camera picks them up so much better, even just a "half click" to focus will give a preview image on the LCD that will show even low level activity so you know where in the sky to look.  As suggested, a tripod and using a 3s delay timer or remote release is a must.  And a reminder that the cold eats batteries.

Have a fantastic trip - and the geysers are well worth a visit - as is the whole "Golden Circle" trip and the Blue Lagoon.  We were in Iceland during the summer many years ago, so no northern lights, but plenty to see and do.

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rasper said:

Hi, I need a bit of advice. My missus bought me a 3 day trip to Iceland for Christmas (no not the supermarket) I am going about 12th Feb and hoping to see the northern lights. I have aCanon EOS 650D camera with  Canon15-55mm lens, Canon 50mm lens CanonCanon 17-85mm Lens  and a SIgma  EX dc HSM 10-20mm lens. Any advice on which lens would be the best to try and use to photopgraph Northern Lights and maybe a few hints on the settings for camera. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place

It's a long way off, but it is forecast to be KP4 for at least the start of your holiday. Remember this is a forecast so like terrestrial weather it can be subject to change but it is at least a promising start. 

I would use the the wider angle lenses - either your sigma 10-20mm or (assuming a typo) the 15-85mm lens. I have the latter and have used it quite a bit in Iceland  - I think you will appreciate the wider landscape when taking your shots, and while waiting for the aurora you can also get some milky way shots!

I have a Canon 7d mark II which has a slightly newer sensor than your camera, but not significantly. The exposure will depend on the strength of the lights - I have had some good shots with only 2-3 seconds at ISO 1600, but for fainter lights (or bright moon) you may need 20-30 seconds to capture detail. In February you will probably have snow, which can make the overall photograph more interesting if there is moon light as it illuminates more of the landscape.

Another useful website is the Icelandic weather forecast which includes a cloud cover forecast. I am assuming that this is your first time and you will be doing a northern lights tour - be prepared for some long nights! 

• Like 1

Agree with those suggesting the 10-22 or 15-85. Both excellent lenses, oft compared to the L lenses but for crop sensor cameras. 

The 50mm is great for capturing a lot of light but at f/1.8 it's soft, and but the time it sharpens up around f/3 or 4 you might as well be using the zooms. 

Edited by DhamR
  • Like 1