Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Who Needs GoTo..............

.......when there's a fine long-focus frac (AR127L) on the Skytee II, with the ED80 Triplet acting as a guidescope with a good 80mm aperture and field in excess of 5deg?  A great set-up, easy to use - especially with the adjustable Geoptik Nadira observing chair.

Fingers crossed for some good viewing later!

Doug.

127L & E80.JPG

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Sunshine said:

That is one long refractor you have, these two actually look funny next to each other, David and Goliath.

Yeah, it's quite a contrast!  The big one IS long, but there are members with 'scopes that make it look ordinary!  Despite the size, it is really easy to use - and the fairly large focal ratio has many advantages over a fast 'scope.  Just a great all-rounder!

Doug.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Yeah, it's quite a contrast!  The big one IS long, but there are members with 'scopes that make it look ordinary!  Despite the size, it is really easy to use - and the fairly large focal ratio has many advantages over a fast 'scope.  Just a great all-rounder!

Doug.

Very true, Doug! 

One of the best "bang per buck" refractors out there, and a very versatile focal length/aperture blend that can give great views of many, many objects!

Clear skies,

Dave

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

What's the focal length on that my 5" is 1180mm long by 127 giving me F9. 3

Hi Paul, hope you're well.

Focal length is 1200mm; ratio f/9.45.  A fine 'scope - I was mad to try to sell it last year!!

Doug.

Edited by cloudsweeper
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

Hi Paul, hope you're well.

Focal length is 1200mm; ratio f/9.45.  A fine 'scope - I was mad to try to sell it last year!!

Doug.

Hi Doug, 

I did say they are fantastic Scopes even my older Meade gives great views now it's been fettled. Unless I had the money for a 120ed this is a keeper. 

My friend Neil has a Bresser 127 and thinks it's brilliant all near enough the same scopes. 

I Hope my mouth is getting better still got throbbing but not as bad 4 days in to the antibiotics so hopefully by the end of the week I'll feel loads better thanks. 

Paul 

• Like 1

Lovely looking combination Doug, must be great fun to use side by side. I notice you are only using a slo-mo cable on the altitude and not the azimuth - I’m assuming that’s because the azimuth cable gets in the way when moving the scope around  (as the az cable doesn’t move with the scope) - it’s something I have found annoying too. Do you end up pushing the scope in azimuth or reaching up to use the knob? Curious to know how others use the mount. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Lovely looking combination Doug, must be great fun to use side by side. I notice you are only using a slo-mo cable on the altitude and not the azimuth - I’m assuming that’s because the azimuth cable gets in the way when moving the scope around  (as the az cable doesn’t move with the scope) - it’s something I have found annoying too. Do you end up pushing the scope in azimuth or reaching up to use the knob? Curious to know how others use the mount. 

Thanks Rob.  No - I don't bother with the cable or knob for the azimuth axis at all.  It doesn't slip, so why bother?  I just nudge it gently as necessary!

Doug.

• Thanks 1

On 16/01/2022 at 11:28, cloudsweeper said:

.......when there's a fine long-focus frac (AR127L) on the Skytee II, with the ED80 Triplet acting as a guidescope with a good 80mm aperture and field in excess of 5deg?  A great set-up, easy to use - especially with the adjustable Geoptik Nadira observing chair.

Fingers crossed for some good viewing later!

Doug.

Hi, I’ve considered a SkyTee for my SW100. Are they stable at high magnification?

41 minutes ago, Doasqa said:

Hi, I’ve considered a SkyTee for my SW100. Are they stable at high magnification?

Mine has been modded a bit - both side saddles are wide with two knobs (not sure what the original config is).  The whole thing on the AZ4 is very chunky and steady.  I reckon most setups will vibrate a bit at high power, but this only shows minimal and brief wobble, for example with the long frac.

Doug.

• Like 1