Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepiece problem

41 minutes ago, Dakuwaqa said:

I’ve found when I use my eyepiece I somethings get the field of view shrink but keeps its round shape (if that makes sense). I get a ring of black around the edges.

Anyone experienced this?

What eyepiece are you using, or does this happen with all your eyepieces ?

If the eyepieces are the ones supplied with your scope then the 25mm should be fine but the 10mm are not very good. It could be condensation which should be easily seen. Make sure you take your scope and eyepieces outside about 30 to 45 minutes before you start viewing to acclimatise to the conditions.

1 hour ago, Dakuwaqa said:

It’s happened with both my eyepieces. 10mm and 25mm. Could it be condensation?

2 hours ago, banjaxed said:

If the eyepieces are the ones supplied with your scope then the 25mm should be fine but the 10mm are not very good. It could be condensation which should be easily seen. Make sure you take your scope and eyepieces outside about 30 to 45 minutes before you start viewing to acclimatise to the conditions.

Thanks dude!

It it okay to wipe away the condensation with a t shirt or do eyepieces need more care than that?

If my eyepieces fog over, I usually just fan air over them with my hand. They usually clear within a few seconds. Personally i wouldn't use a cloth of any kind to wipe away dew, as there's a chance of damaging the coatings over time, also moisture may remain around the edge of the lens. Worst case scenario I would warm the eyepiece in my hand or car, or by taking it into the house for a few minutes. A hair dryer can speed up the process but without high heat.

I have a puffer which I sometimes use to blow large particles off the EP. I had not previously considered using to speed up the evaporation of condensation. The pocket method works but is not so useful when you have a zoom eyepiece as your key ocular.

13 hours ago, Dakuwaqa said:

I’ve found when I use my eyepiece I somethings get the field of view shrink but keeps its round shape (if that makes sense). I get a ring of black around the edges.

Are you pulling back too far from the eyepiece to take in the entire field of view?  You might also be too close, but that's less likely, especially with the 10mm.  Try moving your eye position in and out with respect to the eyepiece when you notice this happening.

12 hours ago, Dakuwaqa said:

It’s happened with both my eyepieces. 10mm and 25mm. Could it be condensation?

Not likely because you would see an overall cloudiness of the image, not a black ring.

• Like 1

I’ve used cloth wipes against recommendations. I’ve stopped stopped doing this after reading stuff but I don’t have scratches. I’m looking into dew heaters. My area has a lot of moisture in the air. On colder nights the fog up frequently.