Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First few attempts - 12-13.01.2022

MKR

Hi,

I had a go at the moon over the last two nights. I thought I'll share it. I'm using SW 200P.

The first one is prime focus DSLR, 50 frames stacked.

Moon_2022-01-12.thumb.png.508e9487c870c1b3d411762bbd5cbb82.png

Next, I used ASI 224MC, prime focus - mosaic. I think I took 8 videos, around 1000 frames each, stacked 40% best and then stitched them in PS. There was a strong red tint which I (sort of) removed in PS. I wonder if the tint would go away if I used an IR-cut filter? I was expecting a better result than the above from DSLR to be honest. I think the two are comparable, although stitching and colours aren't very good. The final resolution is very similar.

Moon_2022-01-13_mosaic.thumb.png.ba00fdf99909fe0d20b7c18a98ec30cb.png

And the final one is just a closeup - 3x barlow with ASI 224MC. Stacked about 90s of data.

Moon_2022-01-12_3x_224mc.png.3a9af269a70f84c2f0fc67dab9d0db51.png

I've got an idea for the next one - I've tried plugging a DSLR to my 3x barlow, the image was sharp and the moon was a little bit too large for a single frame - two frames will cover all I think. The tricky bit was exposure time. 1/200s which still wasn't quite enough was giving me a very blurry picture. I suspect that's because I didn't trigger it remotely. I'm thinking to stack create a mosaic with, say 100 frames each with much shorter exposure. Hopefully I should be able to stack them and stretch without loosing quality? Any thoughts?

Any feedback very much welcomed - I'm on a steep learning curve here, thanks!

• Like 6

First image has some really nice details. I am enjoying the mineral colours in my moon pics from the DSLR and in your first one they are coming through; you could try play with hue saturation and bring them out more as a different version of it.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the comment. Did one more - mosaic with DSLR 3x barlow last night. I think it does show more details, although not as good as I expected. Perhaps my focus wasn't spot on, it looked a bit blurry before Registaxx wavelets.. Could be also exposure time 1/125s or just the optics?Moon_2022-01-14_mosaic.thumb.jpg.569534ac4a5ee9a006730cce4ed96532.jpg