SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

13th Jan hi res critical sampling added

neil phillips

Got a few to go through, Some from yesterday capturing through fog. Tonight better levels helped me speed the exposure up nicely. 2x celestron Ultima barlow Orion 245mm Newtonian F6.3  Player one IR685 EQ5 Mount Single axis sw drive.

Going to get a dual axis drive soon. As will help with drift. At the moment having to use slow motion controls. And at this resolution with such a big scope on a small mount. Its causing a lot of wobble. Running through Pipp helps here. 

Downsized to 75% helps with the oversampling.  Click for full size

clavius sgl.png

DSC00199 (2).png

Full size less levels more frames

full less levels more frames.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 14

Copernicus 2X  Celestron Ultima barlow Orion 245 F6 Newt zwo 178mm camera EQ5 mount IR 685

75% and Full size

tycho 75.png

tycho 75.png full.png

8" Classical cassegrain F12 Baarder 610 longpass Filter zwo 178mm camera EQ5 mount 12 Jan capturing through fog

1.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 14

1 minute ago, Mr Spock said:

Quite remarkable given the mount you are using. My first 250mm Newt was on an EQ5 so I know how shaky they are! Works much better on an EQ6 :wink2:

Thanks Michael. No not easy. Has to be windless nights. 10" at F6.3 quite long tube. what helps is a vixen to losmandy that i put together.  3 weights. a weight on the middle of the mount also. And yes for sure i had two Neq6 mounts. so i know it is much more stable.  Put 12" sky watcher newt on one. And they weigh a ton. That would kill the EQ5. Would like a bigger mount again.  Maybe one day. 

8 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

These images are fantastic, exposure is spot on and the subtle detail captured is wonderful! 

Thanks Sunshine i do pay quite a bit of attention to these things. I also prefer to watch histogram and keep it level and at a good value. Despite efforts to convince me otherwise. I like the results i am getting 😃

Cheers 

• Like 1

Clicking through & it is really like flying over the moon as @Kon says.  Wow.  Some places it reminds me a bit of flying over the more desolate bits of the Sahara w dried up rivers & geological features in the middle of nowhere.  Do you prefer the Newt or the CC?

1 hour ago, vineyard said:

Clicking through & it is really like flying over the moon as @Kon says.  Wow.  Some places it reminds me a bit of flying over the more desolate bits of the Sahara w dried up rivers & geological features in the middle of nowhere.  Do you prefer the Newt or the CC?

Prefer both for different reasons/ The 10 has best resolution. But takes ages to setup, and heavy. The cassegrain is sharp powerful focal length. At just over 7" its easy to setup. and weight is good. Compared.

So 10 for best resolution. But cassegrain a good second and a easy time of it. 

Cheers vineyard

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Appreciate the comments Trevor. Its surprising considering my poor understanding of how settings affect my images lol. 😇

I’m still learning but have seen your work over several years Neil. I don’t think many can advise you on the best settings particularly if they look at the images you’ve produced. I’m sure the majority would agree but you always get one or two “experts” in every game. These images are some, of the best I’ve seen. 

39 minutes ago, Trevor N said:

I’m still learning but have seen your work over several years Neil. I don’t think many can advise you on the best settings particularly if they look at the images you’ve produced. I’m sure the majority would agree but you always get one or two “experts” in every game. These images are some, of the best I’ve seen. 

Many thanks Trevor. Sometimes i think people are just trying to help. But also dont consider very easily others may actually have learned a thing or two naturally. Sometimes there can be different ways to skin a cat. 

Anyway we were treated to a rare sight in the UK, clear skies, no fog, and high lunar elevation. Well done to all the UK guys who got out there. Some lovely results appearing on the this section from them, is testament to that.

Cheers 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

Excellent set of images, the conditions were pretty good last from my neck of the woods" as well. 

Hi Pete from what we are hearing from other members. It seems it was likely it was across the country. Makes a change for us in the UK doesnt it

Thanks 

2 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Hi Pete from what we are hearing from other members. It seems it was likely it was across the country. Makes a change for us in the UK doesnt it

Thanks 

1st proper session for me in ages, things were so bad before Xmas i didn't manage a single image in the Lunar terminator competition 🙂 

24 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

1st proper session for me in ages, things were so bad before Xmas i didn't manage a single image in the Lunar terminator competition 🙂 

Yes i know Pete i am locked in with health problems. So plenty of time to snatch lunar. But even i havent had a night as good as this for sometime. Sounds good Pete really glad you got some images. And i bet they are stunners. you and your scope Rock. 

Look foward to seeing some if you post. 

4 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Yes i know Pete i am locked in with health problems. So plenty of time to snatch lunar. But even i havent had a night as good as this for sometime. Sounds good Pete really glad you got some images. And i bet they are stunners. you and your scope Rock. 

Look foward to seeing some if you post. 

Sorry to hear you are having health problems Neil, hopefully resolved as soon as possible. 

Been processing tonight once i came in, not as good this evening. But another clear sky though 🙂 

28 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

Sorry to hear you are having health problems Neil, hopefully resolved as soon as possible. 

Been processing tonight once i came in, not as good this evening. But another clear sky though 🙂 

Was heavily fogged here. But i got plenty to process so a night off is ok. When you got something your happy with please post Pete