SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help please…..I have no idea….😮

Stuart1971

Ok so first time guiding with this Tak FS60c scope only ever used for visual, and I have an issue, the stars are doubled and trebled in the images from PhD2, see image below, I have ruled out any vibration, flex, the guide camera, and makes no difference which way the guide scope is rotated, also don’t think it’s any tilt either….

‘It looks like the stars are split into three parts almost like I have a mask of some sort on the scope, the smaller stars are doubled like they have a direct copy next to them…it’s really weird.

not a great image and it’s a bit out of focus to show, but when in focus it’s actually worse as the two gaps top and bottom are bigger and more pronounced….

CB8BA490-B4E3-41FB-9378-CAB3263A05F9.jpeg

Edited by Stuart1971

So is this an OAG on the Tak or are you using this as a guidescope?

Looks like something intruding into the light path, if the scope was fine for visual it must be something to do with the guide camera or it’s associated installation?

20 minutes ago, tomato said:

So is this an OAG on the Tak or are you using this as a guidescope?

Looks like something intruding into the light path, if the scope was fine for visual it must be something to do with the guide camera or it’s associated installation?

Straight through guide scope with lodestar X2, no OAG, I have tried 2 cameras and rotated both camera and the scope and it makes no difference….🤔🤔

Looks bad on the dimmer stars too, almost like the scope has moved a fraction during the image, but it has not as it’s rock solid and on a side by side mount with my imaging Tak FSQ85 and that’s perfect….

Yet the brighter star just look split, as opposed to having a twin….🤔🤔🤔

B4091DA5-D689-4E02-9E15-60CE0526BEAA.jpeg

Edited by Stuart1971

Hi

This comes up occasionally. It appears to be a driver issue. Binning solves it, but at the expense of lost resolution obviously. Maybe there's a better driver nowadays but i'm not sure. See the thread below:

• Thanks 1

Ok, all sorted, it’s the SX ASCOM driver that’s the issue, just realised that the camera is natively supported in Sharpcap so tried that and it’s perfect, then switched to the ASCOM driver in Sharpcap, and it was the same as before in PHD2 with awful stars, so went back to native driver and all good….

I have been telling them for a while as SX that the driver needs updating…as it’s not been for over 10 years…anyway cheers for all the help….👍🏼

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Xiga said:

Hi

This comes up occasionally. It appears to be a driver issue. Binning solves it, but at the expense of lost resolution obviously. Maybe there's a better driver nowadays but i'm not sure. See the thread below:

The problem was solved by not using the ASCOM driver and using the native one….who new….🤔🤔

This  is the image now with native driver….what a difference….

59A255EA-3468-41DA-901D-C45903D129F9.jpeg