Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is there any 'etiquette' for arriving at stargazing locations by car?

So I recently got my first telescope, and have just been using it in the garden so far. But now I'm thinking about getting out to some local stargazing spots such as nature reserves, remote car parks....etc. But I'm slightly concerned about spoiling the night vision of any other potential stargazers that might already be there when I arrive by car with the lights on, as I assume that most people will set up in the car park? 

• Like 1

The easiest way to do it is arrive before dark which will also make setting up easier.

Also unless there is an actual star party happening, most places won't even have anyone there. I've been to a few very nice places that have been completely empty the entire time I was there.

If you are unsure, it wouldn't hurt to turn your headlights off as you're approaching and if you do see someone its best you don't turn on your torchlight around them as you me ruin an imaging session or what not.

• Like 1

At the last Astrocamp, we arranged to arrive the evening before it officially started, but were aware that there may be others who had set up early. 

So, when arriving at the campsite entrance, we thought it would be considerate if MrsG got out of the campervan at the top of the drive, and I would drive down on sidelight, guided by her. 

Unfortunately when getting out of the van, we found that we had stopped on the cattle grid, and MrsG fell into the gap.  Luckily, she didn't break any bones; though her mobility was severely limited for the weekend. 

So - if an organised event, try to avoid arriving when it's seriously dark; and reduce your impact as best you can.  To be honest, the way that interior lights turn on when you open your car door or boot is as almost much of a problem as people driving on and off the site. 

• Like 1

@geordie85 @Andy ES unfortunately turning up before it gets dark isn't going to possible until later in the year, as it's already dark by 4pm here, and I don't finish work until 5pm and still have to get home, cook dinner, walk the dog...etc.

@Gfamily I already thought about the interior light, and mine can be switched so that it doesn't come on when the door is open.

@Sunshine yes I thought about switching the car lights off, but wouldn't that be a bit dangerous? Especially if it's a place that is very dark. I guess half beam would be a good compromise, but still has the potential to spoil other people's night vision.

2 hours ago, d-s-m said:

@Sunshine yes I thought about switching the car lights off, but wouldn't that be a bit dangerous? Especially if it's a place that is very dark. I guess half beam would be a good compromise, but still has the potential to spoil other people's night vision.

I don't think I'd recommend anything that might be considered dangerous driving if there was an accident - you might get both be prosecuted and your insurance may not cover any damage.  At professional observatories you would turn off the headlights and use the hazard warning lights (but again not recommended for general roads).

I think you should just operate normally.  If it is an organised event then there will probably be site rules anyway (must arrive before a certain time etc).  On a public site you'd have to take the risk that random people will turn up with other endeavours in mind anyway (private solicitations, dog walkers etc) and they aren't going to be bothered about keeping headlights down etc.

• Like 2

There's a balance between safety and inconveniencing others who are there for the same reasons.  If its a public spot and there is no official start party then you are under no obligations to turn headlights off when entering any carpark etc.  You might want to use the side lights if your night vision is adapted enough, but turning lights off completely whilst driving is technically against the law and can result in an non-endorsable fine of £50.

If its an organised event and you can't get there to set up in daylight, then cover any interior lights or footwell lights with red film, or turn them off altogether.   Use dim side lights when entering the site or car park, and when setting up use red light torches, which should be turned off once you are up and running as even red light that is intensely bright can be an annoyance.

• Like 2

I wouldn't worry about it all that much, worst case scenario is you will interrupt a single exposure in someones AP I'd imagine :D

happens to me alot, I travel to a nice dark sky and set up in car parks, people come and go sometimes, il stop an exposure halfway through or will pause the sequence if I see headlights appearing in the distance.

'Costs me' a couple of minutes, if that. No big deal and I obviously have no right to complain, the space is to be enjoyed by all.

Most people are very polite and understanding too, and will make every effort to go dark ASAP when they see the set up.

Had a guy and his partner trying out nightscapes next to my telescope a while ago, on their way out, he said "I'll try not to put my lights on until I have left the car park" which is a kind gesture, but I insisted he didn't as we were on a mountain road with sheer drops in the pitch black, I am happy to wait a minute if it means no body drives off the mountain :D

• Like 2

This may be relevant-

I used to organise nighttime events at a dark site. The arrangements were to arrive at an agreed time and use headlights to ensure safety.  Lights were acceptable while setting up, then turned off, apart from dim red lights.

If someone wished to leave before others, they would mention it so we could look the other way as they drove off with lights on.

Of course we all understood the need to have as dark a site as possible. On the other hand we don’t want accidents, it’s a balance between darkness and safety.

Ed.

• Like 1

On 13/01/2022 at 20:59, d-s-m said:

So I recently got my first telescope, and have just been using it in the garden so far. But now I'm thinking about getting out to some local stargazing spots such as nature reserves, remote car parks....etc. But I'm slightly concerned about spoiling the night vision of any other potential stargazers that might already be there when I arrive by car with the lights on, as I assume that most people will set up in the car park? 

I wouldn't worry about it, you cant drive with the lights off and if you do disturb anyone they are more than likely to be sympathetic when they find out you are observing as well.

What telescope did you get ?

Kev

• Like 1

I’ve been thinking about this too. I vote for getting there before dark when you can see what you’re doing to set up. Remember to bring you’re red light in case you need to see which eyepiece you’re grabbing. 

On 15/01/2022 at 07:28, d-s-m said:

Thanks for the replies everyone, you've helped put my mind at ease about this 😉

@Kev M I got a Skywatcher Heritage 150p 😀 and now I'm already looking at modifications and eyepiece upgrades 😄

Good choice! It must be: it's the same as mine...😄👍

I've done the focuser mod and the shroud if you need any help.