Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Flaming Star Nebula

Somerled7

I've been slowly upgrading my Astro kit for about 18 months now, and the most recent upgrade was to astro modify my little Canon EOS100D camera. I've also bought a Baader 7nm H-alpha filter for use when the moon is up. I'm now experimenting with combining H-alpha and RGB images, starting with the Flaming Star nebula. I managed 11 hours of H-alpha (15min exposures) over 2 nights under a 70% moon.  The RGB data is 2 hrs 30 mins (5min exposures) taken a while ago. Unfortunately they were at different focal lengths - 432mm H-alpha and 300mm RGB, and don't even entirely overlap, so the bottom right side is lacking RGB data. I've stacked in DSS and processed in Photoshop, adding the H-alpha as a luminosity layer over the RGB data and manually aligning the stars as best I could!

I know I should gather better quality RGB data at the matching focal length/orientation, so that's the plan for the next clear moonless night, but any other advice/feedback welcome.

Camera: Modified Canon EOS100D,  Scope: H-Alpha - Altair 72EDF, RGB - Canon 300mm F4L. Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5. H-Alpha Filter:  Baader 7nm, RGB Filter: Astronomik CLS clip-in. 

Flaming Star.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Clarkey said:

Great effort. The Ha filter and camera modification will certainly increase your range of targets.

Yes. After the 'big 3' of Andromeda, Orion and Pleiades, the next targets like the Heart, North America and Flaming Star are much harder with an unmodified camera.