Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging with the TAK 102 TSA

iantaylor2uk

I fitted an electronic focusser to my TAK 102 TSA (it was pretty simple, and the standard ZWO EAF fittings worked, provided you use a 5 to 8 mm coupler - I ordered one quite cheaply from amazon - the one I used was: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B095NBQR3P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and was out last night (12th Jan) to use it with my ASI Air Pro and ZWO 071 cooled camera (autoguiding was using an 120 MM mono camera on a 50 mm guidescope). I used a 1x Hotech flattener, and an L-enhance filter. I needed dew control strips on both the main scope and the guidescope as there was a lot of moisture in the air. I have found the CooWoo 5V USB dew strips work pretty well for this set-up (again you can order these from amazon).

I first tried a quick M42 - gain on camera was set to 200, sensor was cooled to -5C, and I just took twenty 30 second exposures (this would be equivalent to around 10 secs if I'd just used a UV/IR filter). Some good detail was brought out using the L-enhance filter, but the short exposures also enabled me to pick out the trapezium quite well. Next time out I'll have to take an hour of these + some longer exposures (say 2 mins) and combine the two images. 

Then I moved on to the Alnitak region - here I used 3 min exposures (same settings as above) and took twenty images. 

Finally I moved up to M1 and took 60 two minute exposures. The L-enhance filter bought out some detail in M1, but I really need to spend a few more hours on this. 

Results after stacking and processing are below - my guiding wasn't great - not sure if this was the seeing or because the telescope was too well balanced (the Losmandy G11 likes a slight inbalance in RA if the load on the mount is low). 

M42 v3 12th Jan 2022.jpg

Horsehead v2 12th Jan 2022.jpg

M1 12th Jan 2022.jpg

Edited by iantaylor2uk
Typo
  • Like 3