Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello, I am a photographer with over forty years experience (now retired) BUT very little knowledge in astrophotography! So I am looking for some advice from you please.

I am using an Olympus OMD EM1x & EM1Mkll with a 300mm f4 mounted to the Sky-Watcher Star Adventure 2i.

1. I have now realised I need a guide scope to allow longer exposures so are looking at a 30mm f4 (120mmFl) or should I go up to a 50mm (180/200mmFl)?
  2. Is it worth the extra for the ZWO ASI 120mm mini-S which is USB3.0 and twice the fps over the 120mm mini USB 2.0 or would I not notice any benefits with my setup?

Any advice & constructive criticism welcomed.

I have attached a copy of my first attempt which has inspired me greatly!

Single image processed in LR & PS. 300mmf4, 1600 ISO, 120sec.

SD_Orion_05-01-22-041-DeNoiseAI-Edit.jpg.1eed15c8aa3f82b6e68fcef17a72eeb4.jpg

• Like 2

Hi and welcome to SGL

1. 30mm F/4 guide scope is more than enough for simple mount like StarAdventurer.

2. For guiding there is zero benefits of using USB 3.0 over USB 2.0. USB 3.0 version is good for planetary / lucky type imaging, but for guiding USB 2.0 is more then enough.

• Thanks 1