SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ZWO AM5 Harmonic Drive Equatorial Mount

FLO

6 hours ago, Macroscopic said:

Just out of curiosity, when did you pre-order? I was late Jan so I’m not that hopeful. Glad yours arrive though.

I ordered mine on 13 Jan. If you've not received yours yet then I suspect that you'll be in the next batch. Glad I'm not alone in ordering one! Good luck with it when it arrives.

I've started a thread recording my findings, though imaging at this time of year just ain't going to happen :biggrin:.

Ian

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

My question may be a bit naive sorry, but why pay such a premium when the current mounts (I am thinking of the EQ6R-Pro) is good enough? The tracking error I get on that mount a well below the limitations from my seeing conditions. Why pay £1000 more for the same payload?

8 minutes ago, Doversole said:

My question may be a bit naive sorry, but why pay such a premium when the current mounts (I am thinking of the EQ6R-Pro) is good enough? The tracking error I get on that mount a well below the limitations from my seeing conditions. Why pay £1000 more for the same payload?

If you have a bad back £1000 for a lot less weight is a good deal! 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Doversole said:

The AM5 also travels a lot more easily by plane

On 16/07/2022 at 16:36, Space Hopper said:

Looking at the current crop of these new mounts, one can only assume it won't be too long before the mainstream jump on the bandwagon ?

ie Sky Watcher, Celestron, Vixen ?

Synta are good in making mass production of proven technologies.

After ZWO and other companies pioneer these technologies, the mainstream companies may decide to invest money and effort into modern mounts.

That said, these harmonic drive mounts seem to focus more on portability, not to high accuracy or operation with long focal length scopes like the C11

(if you are going to use a C11, you don't care too much about the weight of an EQ6-R or a G11 mount, I guess...)

N.F.

• Like 1