SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ZWO AM5 Harmonic Drive Equatorial Mount

FLO

The new ZWO AM5 Harmonic Drive Equatorial Mount should start arriving at our warehouse around Feb/Mar 🙂 

An early bird discount is available for orders placed January 2022. 

Like all other ZWO products purchased at FLO, the new AM5 mount includes a two-year warranty and is covered by our 30-day return policy. So you can buy with confidence 😇 

ZWO_AM5_Harmonic_Drive_Equatorial_Mount-ZWO_AM5_Harmonic_Drive_Equatorial_Mount-

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nfotis said:

I wonder, would the tripod be used with other mounts as well?

N.F.

If you mean can the tripod be used with other mounts, then it appears so. From https://www.firstlightoptics.com/category-537/zwo-tc40-carbon-fibre-tripod.html

"Developed for the new ZWO AM5 Harmonic Drive Mount but also compatible with mounts from the following manufacturers.
  • iOptron
  • Celestron
  • Rainbow Astro
  • SkyWatcher"

Ian

• Like 2

7 hours ago, nfotis said:

I wonder, would the tripod be used with other mounts as well?

N.F.

yes I wonder that too. Also the other way around. 

@FLO do you know what the thread on the bottom of the mount is? I rather like the tripod that i already have. 

Adam

Edited by Adam J

4 hours ago, The Admiral said:
If you mean can the tripod be used with other mounts, then it appears so. From https://www.firstlightoptics.com/category-537/zwo-tc40-carbon-fibre-tripod.html

"Developed for the new ZWO AM5 Harmonic Drive Mount but also compatible with mounts from the following manufacturers.
  • iOptron
  • Celestron
  • Rainbow Astro
  • SkyWatcher"

Ian

Intriguing, it may be a nice upgrade for other mounts as well.

For my HEQ5 mount it definitely is overkill, but I would like to try it.

N.F.

2 hours ago, Adam J said:

Yes from that it looks like a standard 3/8th inch thread. 

Adam

Ooooh, that's a nice option.  I could save a fair bit of weight on my AZEQ5 set up now I've had to add the second counterweight. Request for when in stock made.

Edited by Martthebass

• 2 months later...

An update regarding the new ZWO AM5 Harmonic Drive mount 🙂 

ZWO have advised us the new mount will start shipping June (later than originally thought). 

They will not have the previously mentioned green laser pointer (because most countries have laws / regulations that prohibit the use of lasers for astronomy) but will instead have an additional 12V output. 

Also, the original plain black panel will feature the design shown below? (At FLO we will email everyone with an AM5 on backorder so they can choose which panel they prefer but thereafter all AM5 mounts will feature the new design). 

HTH, 

Steve 

design_plate_sgl.jpg.39240cf218284226c0bc769173de5d1a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The design was part of ZWOs competition where anyone could submit a design. There's been a bit of a furore as it was apparently voted for via the public on FB after Zwo chose 20 of them for finals, most entries had natural numbers of votes (dozens to a few hundred), but the winning one had over 3000 votes....

I think plain black plates can be requested from zwo, don't know how that works via distributors/resellers.

10 minutes ago, Elp said:

The design was part of ZWOs competition where anyone could submit a design. There's been a bit of a furore as it was apparently voted for via the public on FB after Zwo chose 20 of them for finals, most entries had natural numbers of votes (dozens to a few hundred), but the winning one had over 3000 votes....

I think plain black plates can be requested from zwo, don't know how that works via distributors/resellers.

Not really sure how you would fake that. Its possible that the image went viral and that tends to result from exceeding a certain threshold beyond which the FB algorithm artificially pushes it to people in preference to the others and so there is a snowballing effect. Hence FB or similar platforms are not a great way of performing a scientifically valid survey. However, that being said in order for it to have snowballed it was likely still the most popular image, its just that the relative popularity has been exaggerated by the algorithm. 

I see no reason to overtly dislike the image though so for me it would be a none issue. 

Adam 

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Elp said:

The design was part of ZWOs competition where anyone could submit a design. There's been a bit of a furore as it was apparently voted for via the public on FB

We were not involved in the selection or voting but, FWIW, I like the chosen design. 

9 minutes ago, Elp said:

Easy - just drop us an email. 

Steve

This is so intriguing, I'm excited to hear what users experiences will be. Though I am not an imager, the fact that a goto mount in both EQ and AZ mode can be had which is so comparatively light and small with Goto is perfect.

It seems like the most grab and go friendly mount, harmonic mounts have been around for a short while but they are very pricey, I hope this works out for those who have one on order, I eagerly await reviews.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/03/2022 at 15:45, Sunshine said:

This is so intriguing, I'm excited to hear what users experiences will be. Though I am not an imager, the fact that a goto mount in both EQ and AZ mode can be had which is so comparatively light and small with Goto is perfect.

It seems like the most grab and go friendly mount, harmonic mounts have been around for a short while but they are very pricey, I hope this works out for those who have one on order, I eagerly await reviews.

Same here, I have the Star adventurer as my grab and go; but this could replace it.

• Like 1

On 28/03/2022 at 12:25, qisback said:

You'd only see it when connecting cables :D

Unless you do that in the dark :biggrin:.

Can't say the design does anything for me, but it doesn't affect performance and for most of the time it'll be in the dark, so no bother really.

Ian

Edited by The Admiral

36 minutes ago, The Admiral said:

Unless you do that in the dark :biggrin:.

Can't say the design does anything for me, but it doesn't affect performance and for most of the time it'll be in the dark, so no bother really.

Ian

True, however if they were go faster stripes it could effect the performance?

• Haha 4

• 4 weeks later...

It has been pointed out that TS Optics are giving 1st September as a shipping date. Given the draconian measures being taken in China over the Coronavirus it wouldn't surprise me in the least if that were the case, but hope not. ZWO itself is still saying around June on their website.

Has anyone @FLO heard anything further on delivery date please?

I see that TS are also listing the pier extensions at €88 ex VAT for each section.

Ian

Edited by The Admiral

3 hours ago, The Admiral said:

It has been pointed out that TS Optics are giving 1st September as a shipping date. Given the draconian measures being taken in China over the Coronavirus it wouldn't surprise me in the least if that were the case, but hope not. ZWO itself is still saying around June on their website. Has anyone @FLO heard anything further on delivery date please?

Due to the ongoing Covid situation in China, nobody has a reliable ETA. Retailers can only guess.

We cannot speak for German retailers but here at FLO, like ZWO, we are estimating around June. 

We will add the new pier extensions to our website soon. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Thanks 1

On 26/04/2022 at 09:57, FLO said:

Due to the ongoing Covid situation in China, nobody has a reliable ETA. Retailers can only guess.

We cannot speak for German retailers but here at FLO, like ZWO, we are estimating around June. 

I am afraid that the mount will be out of budget reach, ( especially as I have just got an AZ-EQ5, ) but I am interested in the tripod. On the description, it says it is suitable for Skywatcher mounts, shows an AZGTi on one, but would it be possible to put an AZ-EQ5 on one? I have seen an AZ-EQ5 on the Sightron tripod, but that is £ 200 dearer! The light weight really does appeal to make my set up lighter... :smiley:

1 hour ago, Greymouser said:

I am interested in the tripod. On the description, it says it is suitable for Skywatcher mounts, shows an AZGTi on one, but would it be possible to put an AZ-EQ5 on one? I have seen an AZ-EQ5 on the Sightron tripod, but that is £ 200 dearer! The light weight really does appeal to make my set up lighter... :smiley:

We have not yet seen one but the CF tripod does not have an Azimuth pin and appears to be suitable only for mounts with flat bases. So no, we think not. Perhaps it can be adapted. We will know more when stock arrives 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1