Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First proper session of 2022..

F15Rules

Having been quite ill over Christmas and New Year with flu like virus (not Covid), it's been pretty frustrating to have had 6 clear nights since New Year's day (!!) before tonight, and not been able to get out for fear of prolonging illness (which has also affected my wife).

But after a very dank, dull day today, the skies cleared tonight, and it also felt milder than it has for some time. So I wrapped up well and got out Trinity the Tak FS128.

I only planned about an hour or so session, so I spent most of the time on Orion, with views of the following:

I used a variety of EPs, all in my Astro Tech 2" dielectric mirror diagonal: Axiom 31mm, 23mm, Nagler T2 12mm, and Morpheus 17.5mm and 9mm. The higher powers all gave great, dark backgrounds, but the seeing didn't  support much over c 120x during the first half of the session.

Firstly, Cyclops session, objects viewed:M42, Sigma Orionis, The Belt trio, Alnilam, Alnitak and Mintaka, and Rigel, Pleiades..and a quick peek at the moon.

M42 was wonderful in the Celestron Axiom LX 23mm..this large, beautifully made 82 degree eyepiece is proving a worthy successor to my much loved and missed Vixen LVW 22mm..to see a great view of M42's Batwings and Fishes Mouth, and the  Sigma Orionis triple in one field with room to spare was delightful. Although transparency was good, seeing was fairly poor especially to begin with..the Trapezium was well seen, but no sign of E&F components..and the waxing  Moon was very bright too.

Rigel at first look was disappointing..very reluctant to focus down to a fine point, and no sign of its 7th mag companion. Sigma did split readily and the third component was easily seen, but it's an easy object normally anyway.

For the latter 30mins or so I got out the binoviewer and (new to me) Baader BBHS Zeiss T2 prism..this seemed to really improve things in terms of sharpness and light scatter..I used a pair of Kson 16.8mm orthos with 50 deg FOV, rather like the BCOs, and am very impressed with them.

Highlights of the short binoviewing session were:.

Rigel split with ease and very cleanly at an estimated 173x..such a difference to the Cyclops view just 30 minutes earlier!

Mintaka and Alnitak also well split (Mintaka easy as a wide optical double)..Alnitak a lovely sight at a c 2.5" close pairing.

I think the seeing definitely improved over the session, but the improvement with the binoviewer vs Cyclops must, I think, have been partly at least due to the effect of the Baader Zeiss BBHS T2 prism.. I'm going to enjoy using this..it has 35mm clear aperture, and as most of my 2" EPs have a 36mm field stop or less, it should work well with them..I've ordered a Baader 2" to T2 clicklock to facilitate this.

All in all, such an enjoyable  first proper session of 2022, and so good to be out with the scope again!😊

Thanks for reading 😊

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
Typo
  • Like 18

Enjoyed reading this Dave, especially to hear that you are well & back out there!  Looking forward to working through targets from my new Cambridge Double Star Anthology around Orion this week,  so you are providing the inspiration on a couple of levels...  

• Thanks 1

A nice session Dave and I found pretty much the same as yourself with those targets, but I was happy last night just Moongazing...:smiley:

The seeing was pretty good until a bit later , around 9.30pm, and the transparency got worse. By midnight I almost could not see Orion's belt because of mist/ground fog. Did you find that ?

The forecast around here for this evening is clear all the way through to 3 am Thursday morning, so I hope it will be the same for you.

I expect I will drag another scope out.....:grin:

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, SuburbanMak said:

Enjoyed reading this Dave, especially to hear that you are well & back out there!  Looking forward to working through targets from my new Cambridge Double Star Anthology around Orion this week,  so you are providing the inspiration on a couple of levels...  

Thanks for your kind remarks, Mark. 

I do love Orion..I know it's such an "obvious" favourite, but there is so much to see, and I never tire of it..

Enjoy your Cambridge Double Star Atlas..I picked up mine for a look yesterday, but to be honest I just was content just to check out the obvious "celestial lollipops"😂..it's been such a while since I observed much of anything!

Dave

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Saganite said:

A nice session Dave and I found pretty much the same as yourself with those targets, but I was happy last night just Moongazing...:smiley:

The seeing was pretty good until a bit later , around 9.30pm, and the transparency got worse. By midnight I almost could not see Orion's belt because of mist/ground fog. Did you find that ?

The forecast around here for this evening is clear all the way through to 3 am Thursday morning, so I hope it will be the same for you.

I expect I will drag another scope out.....:grin:

Good stuff Steve👍

I actually found the sky improving as the session went on, no fog or mist etc..I didn't stay out past c10pm though. I do suspect it stayed clear for a good while longer, as I got up c 2am for a call of nature and Capella was very bright through our en suite Velux window!!😂

Dave

25 minutes ago, Telescope40 said:

Sounds like a proper session Dave. Good to hear you got back at the eyepiece of Trinity👍👍
John 

Thanks John..I do love the Tak, for such a large (but lightweight, only 7.5kg) tube, it's so easy to handle, and cools down remarkably quickly..much as a Tak triplet could appeal, I really think that for visual use and practicality the Fluorite doublets are perfect for my needs..

Dave

• Like 1

Good to hear you got back out there Dave, glad you are feeling better. I’ve been sticking to ‘lollipops’ recently myself, just enjoying the views without having to worry about finding things!

I think you will find the T2 prism very good, even with 2” eyepieces. I use mine with them and don’t really notice much vignetting, even with field stops which are larger than the aperture. It is there obviously, but just not that noticeable.

Question, you mentioned three components in Sigma Orionis, but it’s the fourth faint one which can be a challenge, at least on smaller scopes. Must be trivial in Trinity so perhaps you meant the three fainter stars other than the main bright ones?

Anyhow, we seem to be having a few clear nights so far, despite poor forecasts so let’s hope we all keep getting lucky. The forum feels a very different, and much more positive place reading all these observing reports, it’s great! 👍

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Stu said:

Question, you mentioned three components in Sigma Orionis, but it’s the fourth faint one which can be a challenge, at least on smaller scopes. Must be trivial in Trinity so perhaps you meant the three fainter stars other than the main bright ones?

Hi Stu,

My bad, I meant Iota Orionis, not Sigma!!🥴😂..

Sometimes called "Hatsya", Iota is a triple with companions of 7th and 11th Magnitude directly south of M42...but then you know that!😂😂

Sorry for the error, it's dangerous to work from memory after a fairly long layoff!!

Sigma will be on my list for the next session, I'll see if I can see all 4 components, thanks for the correction👍🤭.

Dave

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Hi Stu,

My bad, I meant Iota Orionis, not Sigma!!🥴😂..

Sometimes called "Hatsya", Iota is a triple with companions of 7th and 11th Magnitude directly south of M42...but then you know that!😂😂

Sorry for the error, it's dangerous to work from memory after a fairly long layoff!!

Sigma will be on my list for the next session, I'll see if I can see all 4 components, thanks for the correction👍🤭.

Dave

No worries, all clear now. That gives me another target to look for now 👍👍

• Like 1

Sorry to hear you have been ill Dave hope you are on the mend now, I too have had some problems. Lovely clear night here last night unfortunately I still could not get out supposed to be clear tonight and I too was going to spend an hour on Orion but that is looking unlikely now.

It is great to read peoples reports when I am stuck in chomping at the bit to get out. 

Orion has some great objects to look at not least M42 and the Trapezium.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wookie1965 said:

Sorry to hear you have been ill Dave hope you are on the mend now, I too have had some problems. Lovely clear night here last night unfortunately I still could not get out supposed to be clear tonight and I too was going to spend an hour on Orion but that is looking unlikely now.

It is great to read peoples reports when I am stuck in chomping at the bit to get out. 

Orion has some great objects to look at not least M42 and the Trapezium.

Thanks Paul, really appreciate that. 

I know you've got your own health challenges, and I really hope you can get out with your fine 5" refractor very soon..

Dave

• Like 1

Great report, Dave.

I had what sounds like the same bug as you: the worst 'flu' I've ever had. I even started getting delusions on waking up (I'm an astronomer, for example! 😁).

In my neck of the woods, my session was a washout. I couldn't get a pinpoint image of anything. I thought it was just the seeing (which was admittedly poor), but when I checked the scope today, the secondary was miles out! I don't know of any knocks it's had; perhaps I didn't tighten the central screw enough. So today, I've loosened off everything and readjusted. Hopefully I can check it tonight.

• Like 1

Thanks Nicola😊.

I can't believe the clear skies we've had since New Year's day..I haven't been out since the last session but am hoping to get out tonight if it stays clear..

The challenge now for the next week is going to be the brightness of the Moon..but if it's as steady in the atmosphere as I hope, the seeing could be good to go for some close doubles..I have a list waiting!😁.

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F15Rules said:

Thanks Nicola😊.

I can't believe the clear skies we've had since New Year's day..I haven't been out since the last session but am hoping to get out tonight if it stays clear..

The challenge now for the next week is going to be the brightness of the Moon..but if it's as steady in the atmosphere as I hope, the seeing could be good to go for some close doubles..I have a list waiting!😁.

Dave

Best of luck for a few more clear nights this weekend. I have clear skies, all going well, promised for Sunday, and a list waiting too!!

• Like 2