Narrowband

Mount Payload (iOptron GEM28)

deanchapman2705

Hi, I just want to clarify something before buying my next mount (iOptron GEM28).

https://www.ioptron.com/product-p/g281b1.htm

On iOptron's website, it states the max payload of the GEM28 is "28 lbs (12.7kg), exclude counterweight". So I'm guessing that with it's 4.5kg counterweight attached, the max payload is then 8.2kg? So for my soon to be 6kg setup (scope, camera, guider etc) this will be ok.

I then came across a forum on Cloudy Nights reviewing this mount...

image.thumb.png.074d8da82e6c1d1af36e5cf1e679df82.png

They say their setup weighs a total of "9kg. Which is 70% of max payload". He also has two 4.5kg weights (9kg). So would it not be a case of a total weight of 18kg on the mount (5.3kg over the max payload)? Or am I wrong to include the counterweights in the total weight?

I currently have an iOptron Skyguider Pro with a max payload of 5kg. My current setup comes to 3.7kg (excluding counterweight) the counterweight weighs 1.35kg which together adds up to just over 5kg. I know it definitely can't take more as it struggles with exposures over 2mins (guided) which makes sense. But to say it could take 1.35kg more seems crazy. Not sure if this is different with a star tracker though so though I'd check with everyone else.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Dean

I think you understood it a bit upside down. Exclude counterweight means counterweights do not subtract from the payload rating. So ignore the counterweight when measuring scope weight.

If they did subtract, many mounts could only mount their own counterweights and not much else.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

I think you understood it a bit upside down. Exclude counterweight means counterweights do not subtract from the payload rating. So ignore the counterweight when measuring scope weight.

If they did subtract, many mounts could only mount their own counterweights and not much else.

Thanks ONIKKINEN,

If that's the case then that's amazing! I would like to see what a 12kg setup looks like on this because it would look very weird, it just doesn't look like it could take it let alone that 8in SCT above.

I was previously told that I had to include the counterweight when measuring my setup with the SkyGuider Pro although that must be because it's star tracker where the payload ratings are without the dec bracket and counterweight - just a ball head and camera.

Thanks,

Dean

Just had this response from FLO (who responded 15mins after contacting them!) -

"Hi Dean,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Mount payloads only include what's on top of the mount so you ignore the counterweight side of things - in this case you can put just under 13kg of telescopes and accessories on top. For imaging there is no 'set' amount but we find most mounts are most comfortable for imaging around 2/3 or so full and with the iOptron's perhaps higher if you are very well balanced. In this case I think it would handle 10kg or so for imaging without any problems.

You can probably go higher but may find you need to be even more careful with balancing and your guiding setup etc..."

So that really is quite impressive for a mount of it's weight and size!