Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Packing away your telescope

When you’ve finished a session should you remove the accessories (diagonal, finder scope, eyepieces etc) or do you guys leave them on the telescope?

Also with a Mak 102 can I just leave it in more bag or does it need be cleaned after each use?

Thanks a million!

Eyepieces are removed and left in an open case indoors to dry off. The refractor with diagonal still attached and dust caps off is left on the dining table to dry out.

When I had a Mak 102, the diagonal came off and the same as above, left to dry off before storage in a camera bag. The objective glass was gently cleaned once - 18 months after buying it with Zeiss lens wipes with no ill effects.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Eyepieces are removed and left in an open case indoors to dry off. The refractor with diagonal still attached and dust caps off is left on the dining table to dry out.

When I had a Mak 102, the diagonal came off and the same as above, left to dry off before storage in a camera bag. The objective glass was gently cleaned once - 18 months after buying it with Zeiss lens wipes with no ill effects.

Thanks! When you had the Mak did you ever take the main telescope cover off inside? Just thinking about dust !

At the end of every observing session i always check the lens hasn't dewed over before bringing it back in the house. If the lens is clear of dew, I blow over the lens with a bulb blower just to remove any dust or pollen, then I cap the lens and bring the scope into the house. If the tube is wet I'll dry it off, leaving it on a mount or on he dining table.

If the lens is dewed over, I don't clean it off, but bring the scope back into the house uncapped leaving it uncapped over night so the moisture evaporates. 

As for cleaning a lens, I think I cleaned my FC100DC twice in five years, and haven't yet cleaned my FC100DZ at all in the almost 20 months I've had it. 

Edited by mikeDnight

Finder scope stays on because it's quite a cheap one. and the scope and mount go into my shed. - with them being stored outside at the same temperature, I'm happy to put the caps on these right away without fear of trapping moisture in.
It's easier to store in my shed if I take the scope off the mount, but more often than not I'm too lazy and it stays on the scope with the intention of taking it off for better storage the next day.... That rarely happens, although that does mean the scope is already on the mount for the next night so my laziness has some perks.

As for eye pieces, cameras, mount electronics (but not the motors), they all come inside the house. I will then generally leave all cases / boxes and lens caps open/off till the morning (much to my wife's displeasure), to ensure they are up to normal temperature and any condensation has left them. 

I seal all of my expensive electronics in a rugged carrying case when outside and only open it after about an hour from bringing it inside. This prevents dew from the temperature difference from forming on them and hopefully makes them last longer. I have 2 cameras, the handset and a mini-pc (and some cables that absolutely must not break) in it. This might not be an issue for most but i have a 40 degree temperature difference between inside and outside at this time of year and everything gets wet immediately when brought inside.

The scope, eyepieces and other optical equipment is left uncapped to dry over night. Sometimes i have to dry my newtonian OTA with a towel if it was very humid outside.