SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ngc 2276 and ngc 2300 near Polaris

wimvb

Ngc 2276 is an asymmetric spiral galaxy in Cepheus, located at a distance of approximately 120 millino lightyears. The asymmetry in its structure is most likely caused by gravitational interactions with its close neighbour, elliptical galaxy ngc 2300. Ngc 2276 is only about half the size of ngc 2300.

Data for this image was collected during two clear nights of the first week of this year with my SkyWatcher 190MN and ASI294MM, and consists of 9 hours of RGB data and 5  hours and 40 minutes of luminance.

Processing was done in PixInsight. To get more detail in the structure of ngc 2276, I drizzled a small crop of the L data and used deconvolution and Multiscale Median Transform before inserting it back in the undrizzled larger view. After this I did normal LRGB processing. There is the slightest hint of IFN in this image, just left of this galaxy pair, but I didn't push it in processing.

ngc2276_LRGB_v2.thumb.jpg.68ab18fdf912bcaf9f7e121d70328220.jpg

Edited by wimvb
  • Like 11

Very nice, well worth the effort.  As you say, a hint of IFN.  I'll look for it when I return to these galaxies with more data than last time, although my field of view is smaller, so I might miss some of it.

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by petevasey
  • Like 1

I've done a bit more digging and came across this superb image.  Taken of course with a Schulman 32" telescope.  Stretch it a bit and there's loads of IFN.  I often see wonderful images by Adam Block, and have a go at some of them.  But of course a 10" telescope in the UK at 200 metres can hardly compete with a 32" telescope at the Mount Lemmon Sky Centre in Arizona at 2800 metres!  20 hours of data!  Well, two people can have a full night at that telescope for only $1500 🤩

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by petevasey
Changed image link and added text

3 hours ago, petevasey said:

I've done a bit more digging and came across this superb image.  Taken of course with a Schulman 32" telescope.  Stretch it a bit and there's loads of IFN.  I often see wonderful images by Adam Block, and have a go at some of them.  But of course a 10" telescope in the UK at 200 metres can hardly compete with a 32" telescope at the Mount Lemmon Sky Centre in Arizona at 2800 metres!  20 hours of data!  Well, two people can have a full night at that telescope for only $1500 🤩

Cheers,

Peter

I found that image too. As you say, impossible to compete with a 32” telescope on a mountain top in Arizona.

2 hours ago, gorann said:

Nice Wim! I also see some structure in the background to the right that may be IFN.

Unfortunately it isn’t. I suspect that it’s from edge reflections from my unmounted filters. DBE couldn’t clean this up, but it’s so weak that I decided to leave it.