Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Angel Nebulae

astro mick

This Nebulae NGC2170 has nearly driven me mad.It is very very faint and low down in Monoceros.Affected with bad seeing and low down haze,its been challenging to bring anything out.It is supposed to look like an Angel!!!

It is a Reflection Nebulae,so i took 4hrs in Luminance and 2hrs apiece in RGB.I have had some clearish nights this week so have been quite lucky.Hope you have too.

Noise was a big problem even with my Atik 460ex ccd,also when the RGB subs came in after a 600 sec exposure,i could see nothing.I think thats a first for me.

So i have used some noise control to whatever affect.Maybe more exposures and many more hours would help.

One for the experts i think.

Cheers.

Mick.

Angel.png

Edited by astro mick
  • Like 21

On 09/01/2022 at 19:42, geeklee said:

A new one for me Mick, thanks for sharing.  It must have been quite the experience seeing nothing on a single sub.

It's time well spent as you've brought out the colour and detail.

Thanks Lee.

Yes its my first attempt at this,and the above describes my efforts.Proberbly wont revisit for a while.😂

Mick.

• Like 1

Its is indeed faint and very low in the UK.  I had enough trouble getting it from East Sussex, and you're up in Yorkshire, so even lower for you.   I was also using an Atik460EX as part of my rig.  

I did about 9 1/2 hours on a dual rig,  Have probably stretched mine more than yours and is still noisy and needs more data if and when i get a chance to get to a dark site when it is around again.

For your info this is my image:

https://www.astrobin.com/380695/?nc=&nce=

Carole 

• Like 1

On 13/01/2022 at 14:01, Martthebass said:

Very nice, not seen this one before - sadly there's a row of houses blocking my view of this target so I suspect that unless I can get a demolition order I'll have to give it a miss.

I hope i,m not going to be responsible for demolishing a house.😂

• Haha 1

On 13/01/2022 at 15:26, carastro said:

Its is indeed faint and very low in the UK.  I had enough trouble getting it from East Sussex, and you're up in Yorkshire, so even lower for you.   I was also using an Atik460EX as part of my rig.  

I did about 9 1/2 hours on a dual rig,  Have probably stretched mine more than yours and is still noisy and needs more data if and when i get a chance to get to a dark site when it is around again.

For your info this is my image:

https://www.astrobin.com/380695/?nc=&nce=

Carole 

Hi Carole.

It is a difficult target,and yes your very good image does show a lot more of the Angel at the expense of a little more noise.You would think 9 1/2 would have been enough,but may need many more?

Mick.

Edited by astro mick