Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Venus as the 2022 Morning Star

CentaurZ

Brilliant Venus has commenced its apparition in the predawn eastern sky following its inferior conjunction between Earth and Sun on 2021 JAN 08. It will become its brightest and highest around mid-February.

Photos and descriptions of Venus during this apparition would be welcome additions to this thread.

Venus-App.JPG.824c3f688a27b22ff28e37dd65d41916.JPG

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had lost track of thinking about where Venus was but noticed it by chance yesterday in the morning sky. Will try to have a look through a scope at the weekend as it should be a nice sight at the moment.

I got 15 minutes on Venus this morning, maybe 10 degrees above the horizon. There is something lovely seeing the small crescent even though it was boiling slightly through the atmosphere. Slight yellowing on the bottom half of the limb - atmospheric aberration? No cloud detail at all to my inexperienced eye. I'm not sure what conditions and what size of scope would be needed to see cloud detail? I was using a Tak FC100DC. But regardless, a lovely way to start the day!

Malcolm

I am going to make a big effort for the next few weeks. To try and image the mysterious UV emitting clouds. Have already made a start. Though phase is a bit small yet. So far very lttle detail.  I Have a Astro essentials violet W47+BG39 Stacked filters.

A UG1 + BG39 stacked filters. ( Similair to the old Schuler UV )

And have ordered today from Flo A Optolong Venus U Planetary Filter

Optolong Venus-U Planetary Filter | First Light Optics

Its quite a fascinating and neglected world from amatures.. I always meant to go back to it. But rarely did.. It wont be easy this time around. As it doesnt get very far from the sun unfortunately.  But going to give it my best attention.

Some previous attempts

Hope someone finds it interesting

optolong-optolong-venus-u-filter-2-mounted.png

v12.png

7647958824_039af14f50_o (1).png

z80.jpg

7TH And 8th Feb 2022

7th Feb UG1 + BG39.  8th Feb IR850  

zzzzzzzzzz now.png

ZZZZZZ2.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 4