SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Camera Cooling issue, advice needed.

Newforestgimp

Hi all I’ve been having issues cooling my ASI071MC PRO via APT, the initial Cool down works and maintains temp, but when I start an imaging session after the first exposure and every subsequent exposure is complete the power on the camera drops to 0% and camera temp begins to rise back toward ambient, the power remains removed for approx 20-30seconds then returns, the camera starts to cool again back toward the set point, however, before it can reach set point the next exposure completes, removes the power, temp starts to increase.

this cycle simply repeats for the duration of the image plan. I’ve updated camera drivers, I’ve tried mains 12v 5a and battery 12v 10a supplies to the rig and the pattern remains.

This is a new camera (late 2021 purchase)

Any ideas ? Similar experiences ?

regards

AndyC14FFEDD-4AB8-4B88-B25C-F0F930330612.thumb.jpeg.a0cba0d9f3ffc1ca2d768e00fd959af1.jpeg5C4B0412-B69F-47E5-BDF9-C4BF9645C579.thumb.jpeg.3626917450a369c942056cd54d0927b8.jpeg

23 minutes ago, jjosefsen said:

Could you try some other capture software? See if the same problem happens.

Just tried NINA and temp is stable after three exposures, no power cuts etc, no Nina camera errors, the NINA errors may have been fixed by driver update performed Friday I guess ? So it would appear to be the way APT is triggering the image download or something ? Probably one of a million settings not correct on APT.

problem is now is NIBA has been less than a fun experience for me so far, just when I think it’s working it errors on camera or mount or “insert any random device”

3 hours ago, Newforestgimp said:

Just tried NINA and temp is stable after three exposures, no power cuts etc, no Nina camera errors, the NINA errors may have been fixed by driver update performed Friday I guess ? So it would appear to be the way APT is triggering the image download or something ? Probably one of a million settings not correct on APT.

problem is now is NIBA has been less than a fun experience for me so far, just when I think it’s working it errors on camera or mount or “insert any random device”

I've been using NINA for a couple of years now, and it mostly works for me I must say, even though I work and test the latest beta/nightly builds which, CAN have errors, but that is the nature of working with beta releases.

If you are not already on the Discord server, I can recommend it, as help is often extremely fast.

For NINA I can recommend the Patriot Astro youtube channel, he has a whole series on NINA, it is very good!

Some of it is from the old 1.11 version, but I would suggest to go with the new 2.0 beta xx build, most of it is still relevant.

If you like APT more, then maybe try raising the issue on their forums, maybe it can be fixed..?

Whatever software you chose, there is a million things that can go wrong, so much software, bad drivers, ASCOM quirks, bad cables, you name it. :)

Edited by jjosefsen
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jjosefsen said:

I've been using NINA for a couple of years now, and it mostly works for me I must say, even though I work and test the latest beta/nightly builds which, CAN have errors, but that is the nature of working with beta releases.

If you are not already on the Discord server, I can recommend it, as help is often extremely fast.

For NINA I can recommend the Patriot Astro youtube channel, he has a whole series on NINA, it is very good!

Some of it is from the old 1.11 version, but I would suggest to go with the new 2.0 beta xx build, most of it is still relevant.

If you like APT more, then maybe try raising the issue on their forums, maybe it can be fixed..?

Whatever software you chose, there is a million things that can go wrong, so much software, bad drivers, ASCOM quirks, bad cables, you name it. :)

Ain’t that the truth !!! NINA is working for me tonight so I shall stick with it, we get precious few clear nights it kills me when you get some new error from the same setup that worked fine before. The APT forum are pointing to power supply mainly, and drivers, but it’s working with same supply and drivers on NINA.

I may have mentioned this on another thread but I did have a few guiding glitches that (touch wood) have gone away since I bought a "proper" power supply. I am using the latest beta releases of NINA and my imaging has never been as robust as it is now. I have some processing/flat issues but that's nothing to do with NINA and/or capturing in the first instance.

On 09/01/2022 at 21:17, Newforestgimp said:

Ain’t that the truth !!! NINA is working for me tonight so I shall stick with it, we get precious few clear nights it kills me when you get some new error from the same setup that worked fine before. The APT forum are pointing to power supply mainly, and drivers, but it’s working with same supply and drivers on NINA.

Nina is better, you always feel like you are fighting a new program at first, but its worth while sticking with it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, scotty38 said:

Agreed, I am in massive danger of becoming a NINA fanboy 🙂

I really like NINA until it randomly stops working for reasons unknown, however, I’ve just experienced the same with APT sooo…..

With regard to NINA how do you handle the automatic Phd2 startup ? I always seem to get in a brain fudge with it.

Andy

16 minutes ago, Newforestgimp said:

I really like NINA until it randomly stops working for reasons unknown, however, I’ve just experienced the same with APT sooo…..

With regard to NINA how do you handle the automatic Phd2 startup ? I always seem to get in a brain fudge with it.

Andy

I have to say it's been rock solid for me - I'm using the Beta by the way. I have done nothing special for PHD2 and it just connects when I "connect all" in NINA. This is what I have configured though:

Capture1.thumb.JPG.149fc30f08db809aa7cccb2f6fb72b87.JPG

15 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

I have to say it's been rock solid for me - I'm using the Beta by the way. I have done nothing special for PHD2 and it just connects when I "connect all" in NINA. This is what I have configured though:

Capture1.thumb.JPG.149fc30f08db809aa7cccb2f6fb72b87.JPG

Cheers I’ll take a look and adjust mine 👍

There are a lot of things that can go wrong, one of the most common reasons for something breaking is actually ASCOM drivers right now, as far as I can tell from the discussions on the Discord.

The NINA team has a pretty hard stance on ASCOM compliance, meaning they expect ASCOM drivers to adhere to the specification and guiding principles stated by ASCOM.

ALOT of drivers are not living up to this, but as the userbase of NINA has grown the ability of the NINA devs to push manufacturers to conform to the ASCOM standards has grown, and in turn it is making the whole eco system better for everyone, not just NINA.

I know they are working on strategies to make NINA more robust towards devices throwing unhandled exceptions, without having to make safeguards to every ASCOM driver out there..

Again.. when you elect to work on the latest beta release, you inherently accept that something might not be totally stable yet. ;)

Personally I think it is worth it as the capabilities are super impressive!! But I am a full blown fanboy so..! :)

Edited by jjosefsen