Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rosette Nebula through the muck of London skies

Daniel Karl

@scotty38 - thanks! I'm pretty happy with the 294MM - but I don't have much to compare it to, because my last camera before it was a Canon 10D almost 20years ago - haha.
I'm using the ZWO 1.25" 7nm filters - HSO - in the mini filter wheel. I only use dark frames for calibration, no flats (might give that a try some day). 
I've had a look at your thread regards the flats - to be honest, my backgrounds of the composites are far from even - I assume that the light pollution here in London accounts for most of that,
but my illumination is certainly not perfect either. So far I've just tried to use Dynamic Background Extraction in PI to even it out a bit, but I haven't had the patience to do it properly.

@Sterrenland Thank you - I admired your picture just before I shared this one ... I really like it. I actually feel like I'd like to have a shorter FL quite often. With the seeing here, I don't think I'll get a lot
more detail very often. I sometimes wonder how a RASA 8 would compare in practical terms, but then I try to remind myself where that is going - haha. 20 years ago I had a 15" f/4.5 monster Newton on a German Equatorial Mount ... back breaking 192lbs for the RA/DEC
assembly alone, then the counterweights, the OTA etc. My little Apo now is so much more convenient :)

@carastro Thanks Carole!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Daniel Karl said:

@scotty38 - thanks! I'm pretty happy with the 294MM - but I don't have much to compare it to, because my last camera before it was a Canon 10D almost 20years ago - haha.
I'm using the ZWO 1.25" 7nm filters - HSO - in the mini filter wheel. I only use dark frames for calibration, no flats (might give that a try some day). 
I've had a look at your thread regards the flats - to be honest, my backgrounds of the composites are far from even - I assume that the light pollution here in London accounts for most of that,
but my illumination is certainly not perfect either. So far I've just tried to use Dynamic Background Extraction in PI to even it out a bit, but I haven't had the patience to do it properly.

Thanks appreciated.I guess if there's no vignetting or dust then no need for the flats at least. Either way a great image nice one!