Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2 nights in one week? fantastic!

wibblefish

A good two nights of astronomy this week which brings me to 3 nights since  I bought a new telescope back in Novemeber! The UK weather has been particularly cloudy this season alas. 

I went on a bit of a Messier list tour ticking off several ones that I haven’t been able to see before mostly as I didn’t have a lot of time to plan and those are easy to look for with a phone app!

Starting both nights with some fantastic observing of my favourite winter target M42 (Orion Nebula) south of Orions belt. Using an OIII filter (this isolates certain wavelengths of light) it allows revealing of some fine, almost ethereal, detail of dust lanes and gas that make it up.

Moving on to M81 (Bode’s Galaxy) and M82 (Cigar Galaxy) in Ursa Major. Both of these can fit into the same view with M81 the brighter showing as a large gray patch with central core and M81 as a thin grey patch as it the galaxy is edge on to us.

The next one, M97 (Owl Nebula) in Ursa Major, was so faint as to be invisible to my eye. As this is a planetary nebula it appeared straight away as a diffuse cloud when I added an OIII filter.

I also think I glimpsed M108 (Surfboard Galaxy) which is near M97 but it was so faint as to only be a elongated patch only slightly discernible from the background sky. Will need to revisit another night to see if I can ascertain if I spotted it correctly.

On the second night I decided to pursue a more local target and had some good views of Uranus. It appeared as a small disc with a slight blue colouration, it was very bright even with some higher magnification.

I had a go at M52 (Open cluster) in Cassiopeia but unfortunately it was lurking behind a tree trunk!

My final targets were the open star clusters M36, M37 and M38 in Auriga.

These were all great, bright and packed with stars. 

The telescope mount (Skytee2) held well even with these being extremely high in the zenith so the OTA was almost vertical! The Nirvana 16mm continues to impress me and is quickly becoming my primary sweeping though its not as comfortable as my BST’s in terms of eye relief.

All in all some great viewing despite the usual skyglow and neighbourhood street lights in all directions. The main thing that ended my nights was simply cold feet through the layers of socks! 

• Like 13

Same, incredible numbers of clear days this week. 

Wish I could see the number of galaxies you can, even andromeda disappears if I look at it. Might need a night of galaxy spotting and leaving the moon and Orion alone for a bit. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, FinleyChambers said:

I’ve had 4 clear nights this week, I got a 200PDS for Christmas and no mount haha, saving up for a mount now.

Now that is taking the proverbial, normally it is a known fact that when you receive new equipment it is cloudy for several weeks after they arrive, obviously the weather Gods saw you had not got the mount yet.
I hope you get the mount soon and the Gods are kind to you then 🙂 

Steve

• Haha 1

Even got 2 clear nights up here but I was so sure January was a write off I missed the first night on Tuesday and it wasn't till I took the dog out just before retiring to bed at close to midnight I saw it was clear but I needed my bed by then as had a hard day so just caught the Wednesday night.

So added to my resolution list to be more aware what the weather is doing as I need a much better year than 2021. here's hoping 🙂 

Steve

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DhamR said:

Same, incredible numbers of clear days this week. 

Wish I could see the number of galaxies you can, even andromeda disappears if I look at it. Might need a night of galaxy spotting and leaving the moon and Orion alone for a bit. 

Good luck to you, I am in quite light polluted bortle 5 :) fuzzy hunting is good fun!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Even got 2 clear nights up here but I was so sure January was a write off I missed the first night on Tuesday and it wasn't till I took the dog out just before retiring to bed at close to midnight I saw it was clear but I needed my bed by then as had a hard day so just caught the Wednesday night.

So added to my resolution list to be more aware what the weather is doing as I need a much better year than 2021. here's hoping 🙂 

Steve

I use s combo if apps, clearoutside / scopenights and meteoblue on the web seems to be good (https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/outdoorsports/seeing/london_united-kingdom_2643743). Ultimately sticking the head out the backdoor at around 9 usually does it 😛

I did look out about 1am last night when I got up and it was clear but I don’t really have the enthusiasm to go out at random times of the night! 

Edited by wibblefish
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, wibblefish said:

Good luck to you, I am in quite light polluted bortle 5 :) fuzzy hunting is good fun!

Thanks. Bortle 6 here but with all local light blocked by buildings/fences/objects placed intentionally on a child's Wendy house. 

Need to look into the travel times to my nearest site. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wibblefish said:

Ultimately sticking the head out the backdoor at around 9 usually does it

I must set an alarm to remind me to do this.
I missed last night completely, having checked three websites at dusk and received a firm "no" from each.

Edited by Zermelo
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, wibblefish said:

Ultimately sticking the head out the backdoor at around 9 usually does it 😛

I did look out about 1am last night when I got up and it was clear but I don’t really have the enthusiasm to go out at random times of the night! 

Yes your right easiest way is to get off my backside and take a look  🙂 , I did look last night as well, again late around midnight as I took the dog out and although not totally clear there were plenty of stars but oddly enough it was raining on me so no way I would get my gear out.

Steve  

3 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Yes your right easiest way is to get off my backside and take a look  🙂 , I did look last night as well, again late around midnight as I took the dog out and although not totally clear there were plenty of stars but oddly enough it was raining on me so no way I would get my gear out.

Steve  

I lugged all my gear out the other night in a clear sky, started observing and struggled to focus then looked up into a huge cloud bank 😕 Fortunately waiting about 10 mins or so and it cleared for the rest of the night but Ive had plenty this season where its been clouded by the time I am ready and then had to pack up! Seems to be a UK astronomy feature!

• Like 2

I'm new to this, but I tend to have a look around 5/6ish when doing dinner, if it looks promising I'll set the scope up for a look at any setting planets or the moon, then leave it out while I sort dinner. 

I'll have another look before my daughter's bedtime at 7, regardless of the above, so I can give her a quick look at something. 

Then I'll check again around 8-9pm to see if there's a chance of a few hours before bed. 

I'm glad I didn't go bigger than the heritage 150 though or it'd be much more of a faff. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wibblefish said:

I lugged all my gear out the other night in a clear sky, started observing and struggled to focus then looked up into a huge cloud bank 😕 Fortunately waiting about 10 mins or so and it cleared for the rest of the night but Ive had plenty this season where its been clouded by the time I am ready and then had to pack up! Seems to be a UK astronomy feature!

Definitely something we have to take on board, must be nice to live somewhere you can just do this hobby almost anytime you wish and do other stuff whenever, in UK it is a matter of Oh no clouds lets get out there 🙂 
Also when imaging I have it all automated and can leave it outside doing its stuff but sleep does not come easy as I keep waking and checking out of window for rain.
I so long for some sort of Obsy, even if not automatic roof and all that its just a matter of rolling the roof back and doing a bit and then if rain or clouds come shut it and off to bed.

Steve

11 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Definitely something we have to take on board, must be nice to live somewhere you can just do this hobby almost anytime you wish and do other stuff whenever, in UK it is a matter of Oh no clouds lets get out there 🙂 
Also when imaging I have it all automated and can leave it outside doing its stuff but sleep does not come easy as I keep waking and checking out of window for rain.
I so long for some sort of Obsy, even if not automatic roof and all that its just a matter of rolling the roof back and doing a bit and then if rain or clouds come shut it and off to bed.

Steve

Ah I feel for you folk doing astrophotography must be even more frustrating than visual!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, wibblefish said:

Ah I feel for you folk doing astrophotography must be even more frustrating than visual!

Ah I don't know at least I can do it from a warm room, or even bed 🙂 
I think imaging or visual we have to be keen to even think of taking up the hobby in this country 😂

23 minutes ago, wibblefish said:

I get the impression that last year was particularly bad with regard to that distinction. As a visual observer I managed to get out quite a few times, but in many instances it was unexpected, interrupted, or both. Frustrating at times, but still allowing some activity. Compare 2020 (admittedly not your typical year), where it seemed to me that the viewing nights were better predicted, often came in extended spells, and were often for entire evenings.

• Like 1

I am pleased with 2022 so far with several sessions covering Solar (WL and Ha) and night time observing. I woke at 2am this morning and went downstairs and made tea. Looking outside it was totally clear and no Moon. I had left the Heritage 130p set up so I had a quick 20 minutes session. Found C/2019 L3 (Atlas) which was fainter. Also took in M35, M1, M42.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SuburbanMak said:

Great report & nice work on the Owl & M108!  

Thanks! M108 I read is one of the brighter / easier way ones to find in Ursa Major so I am a little confused if maybe it wasn’t what I saw.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, wibblefish said:

Thanks! M108 I read is one of the brighter / easier way ones to find in Ursa Major so I am a little confused if maybe it wasn’t what I saw.

Not that easy - I tracked down the Owl a few nights ago but failed to find the galaxy , have a few to locate in UM which will keep me busy for the next few weeks :) 

1 hour ago, SuburbanMak said:

Not that easy - I tracked down the Owl a few nights ago but failed to find the galaxy , have a few to locate in UM which will keep me busy for the next few weeks :) 

Interesting, the Owl was amazing literally nothing to see until you pop in a UHC or better with an OIII

1 hour ago, wibblefish said:

Interesting, the Owl was amazing literally nothing to see until you pop in a UHC or better with an OIII

I picked the Owl up on the basis of its distinctive shape - I use a Baader Neodymium filter pretty much all the time & often forget to switch in my OIII or UHC. Will have to give them arty, but then I’ll be back there hunting M108 down anyway…

Generally I find the OIII & UHC dim the view to an extent that I prefer without.
Have enjoyed them on the Lagoon, Swan & Triffid nebs in the summer though & last night on M42.  They pull out different features so your brain builds up a layered view - like a bio-astrophoto! 

Edited by SuburbanMak

I could just about see the Owl Nebula and M108 with my 120mm refractor last night without a filter. They were both in the same 1.8 degree field of view, on either side of it.

The challenge is that using a filter such as a UHC or O-III, while doing wonders for the visibility of the Owl Neb, causes the galaxy to become virtually impossible to spot.

25 minutes ago, John said:

I could just about see the Owl Nebula and M108 with my 120mm refractor last night without a filter. They were both in the same 1.8 degree field of view, on either side of it.

The challenge is that using a filter such as a UHC or O-III, while doing wonders for the visibility of the Owl Neb, causes the galaxy to become virtually impossible to spot.

Yeah I had to remove the filter for the galaxy for definite as it was just a slight shaped different colour to the rest of the skyglow in my 105mm! Will be rechecking both targets next time out for my own sanity!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, John said:

The challenge is that using a filter such as a UHC or O-III, while doing wonders for the visibility of the Owl Neb, causes the galaxy to become virtually impossible to spot

Ah, you'll be needing one of these then

image.png.21b7d11541c200838a4c939622b45486.png

• Haha 1