SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My first M42 in 10 years (now and then comparison)

Catanonia

M42 is always a winter favourite and since coming back to the hobby, after quite a few years, I was keen to attempt it again with my new kit.

The 1st image is my new rendition taken a few nights ago with my RASA8 and ZWO 2600 MC Pro on top of a NEQ6 Pro mount.

It comprises of 130x 1min subs for the main image and about 60x 1s subs for the core of the nebula.  (Even 1second sub were almost blowing the core on the Rasa !!!!!)

I really wanted to get the dust lanes and still keep the detail of the nebula along with natural colours rather than artificially changing the colouring on individual areas of the image. I think I achieved that.

The 2nd image, for comparison, is the last time I imaged Orion about 10 years ago on a 8inch Boren-Simon F2.8 Power Newtonian  with a QHY9M camera. I am happy that I have progressed since then and am still learning.

Both images from Bortle 6 skies in South Cheshire

M42.thumb.jpg.07bec33b53b6977e212d47b3da4aa0b5.jpg

Orion.jpg

Edited by Catanonia
  • Like 11