Time limited Triangulum and Flaming Star

Peter Reader

Had approximately 1 hour window for clear skies this evening so got out again with the new gear. Triangulum was cut short by neighbour's house getting in the way and only got a few subs of Flaming star before clouds moved in.

Triangulum: 14 x 3 min lights and 9 x 3 min darks

Flaming star: just 4 x 3 min lights before had to stop and 9 x 3 min darks 

I've noticed people collecting data for images across multiple sessions - I don't think I could do this as my diffraction spike position will surely change based on camera rotation and I have no way to fix the position...?

I am also noticing that the center of my frames are brighter than the edges - why does this happen and can this be processed out?

Flaming Star PS output.png

Triangulum PS output.png

Edited by Peter Reader
  • Like 3

• Peter Reader changed the title to Time limited Triangulum and Flaming Star
21 hours ago, Peter Reader said:

I've noticed people collecting data for images across multiple sessions - I don't think I could do this as my diffraction spike position will surely change based on camera rotation and I have no way to fix the position...?

As long as the tube stays in place within the rings the diffraction spikes will remain in the same place relative to the sky. I have an RC8 with diffraction spikes and use it for multiple sessions.

21 hours ago, Peter Reader said:

I am also noticing that the center of my frames are brighter than the edges - why does this happen and can this be processed out?

Yes - flat frames should help remove the vignetting.

Nice images.

How strange, I shot the same targets on Jan 5, but for a little longer (75 min on Flaming Star and 30 min on M33) although with a smaller and slower scope (120 APO, F8.)  Both of them I traditionally find to be quite challenging in their own way, tending to look (at least my attempts) a bit messy.

More time, and calibration with flats, will definitely improve your results even further.

Tony