Narrowband

Back in 1968

neil phillips

A year before the moon landings this Telescope was born. Swift 831 F13 Achromatic refractor.  2022 its taking lunar images. I think thats cool. It could have looked at the moon while men were up there ?  Thanks goes to Anthony McEwan who lovingly restored this old timer. And moved it on to me.

This first image is for Anthony.  29 degrees very rushed capture.  Some cloud around. Poor seeing. And the scope not cooled properly. But its coped well 60% downsized

DSC00177.jpg

DSC00178.jpg

DSC00179 (2).jpg

swift sgl 60.png no d.png b.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, A McEwan said:

Thank you for that Neil. That is a beautiful image and I'm very pleased (and inspired) by the fact it was taken with a true old-school achromat that's three years older than I am! ;)    :smile:

Ant 

No thank you Ant.  And of course your very welcome.

Great image from an older scope. It proves you don’t always need the latest gear to get into astronomy. It should inspire many people to have a go with whatever they have. Good detail as well in not the best conditions 👍

Thats the beauty of the moon isnt it Trevor. It doesnt need the largest scope to get a pleasing result. Sometimes the journy and participation. Can be as equally satisfying. As the end result. 

These types of telescopes are ideal for these kind of conditions. What might appear to be a weakness to some. Could actually be a strength. Not least of which is fast cooldown. And quick setup. Easy setup too. Is something that can be appealing. Despite the fact of a reduction in resolving power.

Ive always hoped begginers would be inspired by my lunar images with smaller telescopes. Cheap cameras can be got. And laptops are a common way of life.

If the interest is there this should never be a pursuit of just the well off. 

Thanks Trevor.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Great photo - they are indeed fantastic telescopes. I have a question as I’m trying to service the focuser on mine…. The teeth of the focus thumb wheel (which had to be removed) are (were) covered in a thick ‘tacky’ grease - this provides a little lubrication but also some friction. Any ideas on a replacement brand / type of grease ?

Thanks Justin 

On 07/01/2022 at 19:55, neil phillips said:

A year before the moon landings this Telescope was born. Swift 831 F13 Achromatic refractor.  2022 its taking lunar images. I think thats cool. It could have looked at the moon while men were up there ?  Thanks goes to Anthony McEwan who lovingly restored this old timer. And moved it on to me.

This first image is for Anthony.  29 degrees very rushed capture.  Some cloud around. Poor seeing. And the scope not cooled properly. But its coped well 60% downsized

DSC00177.jpg

DSC00178.jpg

DSC00179 (2).jpg

swift sgl 60.png no d.png b.png

Neil, could I also ask where you sourced the tube rings ? I have original swift ones but they’re rather old and worn. Yours look perfect and I may get a set ! Thanks Justin 

55 minutes ago, Justin P said:

Great photo - they are indeed fantastic telescopes. I have a question as I’m trying to service the focuser on mine…. The teeth of the focus thumb wheel (which had to be removed) are (were) covered in a thick ‘tacky’ grease - this provides a little lubrication but also some friction. Any ideas on a replacement brand / type of grease ?

Thanks Justin 

Grease i am not sure about. I would have thought similair to what is used on mounts. Like on the EQ5 And 6 youtube threads. I use this from ebay. But i have no idea if its the best 

DSC00277.JPG

1 hour ago, Justin P said:

Neil, could I also ask where you sourced the tube rings ? I have original swift ones but they’re rather old and worn. Yours look perfect and I may get a set ! Thanks Justin 

Tube rings i got with the scope 

But there is some here. Not sure if any UK suppliers have any ? 

Teleskop-Express: TS-Optics CNC Aluminium Tube Rings for telescopes with 80mm diameter