Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IC 434 - Horsehead Neblua (Finished)

dannybgoode

Right I am calling this one done :) - I've got other targets to work on now I've found my mojo.  I will of course revisit with more data however that may be next year now..  I've spent a bit of time learning a few processes in PixInsight so this is may first image that is 100% done in PI which I am pleased about.  Not a necessity of course by any means however it is nice to be able to work in a variety of packages to get the result I want.

Image is 2+ hours of Ha and then only 25 mins or so R G and B.  After stacking each channel I then used EZDenoise first to clean up the subs and then merged the Ha G & B.  Next I created a master luminance stack from the Ha R G & B and merged this is.   Various masks and then subsequent tweaks of levels, curves etc and then Wavelet - MultiScaleLinear Scale Transform to create a soft mask and a bit of light sharpening.  Finally HDRMulticaleTransform and then back for a final tweak of the curve to get this finished image...

EDIT with the png file so the colours show correctly...

Final.png

Edited by dannybgoode
  • Like 10

I wondered if this might be an illusion created by the colour in the rest of the page but, no, your SGL screen shot is indeed darker. Here I copied one onto the other (Astrobin over SGL) and deleted a square from the middle of the AB image to reveal the SGL.

2019341755_HHCOMP.jpg.8e08739197b2b3ecc99b913640776557.jpg

I've no idea why this should be happening and I don't think it happens to my own images because I'm very fussy about background brightness.

Olly

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I wondered if this might be an illusion created by the colour in the rest of the page but, no, your SGL screen shot is indeed darker. Here I copied one onto the other (Astrobin over SGL) and deleted a square from the middle of the AB image to reveal the SGL.

2019341755_HHCOMP.jpg.8e08739197b2b3ecc99b913640776557.jpg

I've no idea why this should be happening and I don't think it happens to my own images because I'm very fussy about background brightness.

Olly

Thank god it's not just my eyes.  It happens to all my images and is a bit annoying as I try and optimise them!  Do you know to whom I would raise this with.  And many thanks for taking the time to compare them :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dannybgoode said:

Thank god it's not just my eyes.  It happens to all my images and is a bit annoying as I try and optimise them!  Do you know to whom I would raise this with.  And many thanks for taking the time to compare them :)

One of the technical guys on Admin, maybe? Grant, perhaps? I'd double check that the same copy was sent to both sites, though.  Is your colour profile sRGB?

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
Typo

Just now, ollypenrice said:

One of the technical guys on Admin, maybe? Grant, perhaps? I'd double check that the same copy was sent to both sites, though.  Is your colour profile sRGB?

Olly

100% the same image and when I post to Facebook, even through its horrible compression at least the brightness is correct.  I have noticed this also when posting IKO competition entries and stuff as well.  My monitor on my workstation is fully calibrated so I know what I have on my screen is correct but then whenever I post here it dulls.  I am not for one minute suggesting any of my images would win any competitions but I feel at an unfair disadvantage here as I need all the help I can get :D 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Olly

I was chatting with someone recently about this who posts on various platforms. Facebook, Twitter, Flickr etc... all use different methods of compression so that their pics load faster, so there is a difference in how it gets presented.

I ve found Flicker posts darker images, than Twitter for example. No idea what Astrobin is doing.

Tom

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tom OD said:

I was chatting with someone recently about this who posts on various platforms. Facebook, Twitter, Flickr etc... all use different methods of compression so that their pics load faster, so there is a difference in how it gets presented.

I ve found Flicker posts darker images, than Twitter for example. No idea what Astrobin is doing.

Tom

Astrobin has it right.  It is SGL that has a fondness for dimming my jpeg files for some reason :)