SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Observatory Usb hub Ideas?

Astropedro

15 minutes ago, Padraic M said:

@scotty38 I'd completely overlooked the DSLR power port to drive the PC - excellent! Agree that the other 4x12V power outlets can be switched as one, unless there's an equipment fault.

Like you, I have the mount, imaging cam and focuser powered from the 12V ports. EQDIR to the mount, focuser and main cam are all in the PPBA USB hub and working fine, but is there a benefit in putting those directly into the PC?

I'm just getting to grips with the NINA advanced sequencer so will take a look at the Connector plugin and sequencing the PPBA switches. This is fun!

I have all my usb connections going to the PPBA too other than the main one to the Quieter 2 of course. I haven't even tried them direct to the pc though but cannot see what benefit there would be unless you need multiple USB3 but not sure you would with astro kit.

Edited by scotty38
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, david_taurus83 said:

Thanks. I like the idea of being able to switch off the individual power ports. Also, I get the odd USB gremlin that needs them to be unplugged/plugged to cure it. Am I right that they Ultimate one can toggle those off individually as well?

Yes you have full control over all power and USB and dew ports. Also there is an adjustable power outlet too, from between 3v and 12v, plus a focuser port, and 1 permanently on 12v port, ideal for your PC…so it can’t be turned off by accident…

• Like 2

Ok I bought a mini pc for £65 with a bit more memory and WiFi should I need it.  Will either remote into it via WiFi or run a cat5 cable if needed.

Will buy a cheap monitor and keyboard to leave in the observatory for those times when I want to sit in there or if I need to control the mini pc directly such as to install software when it arrives etc.

I'll let you know how I get on guys and thanks for the advice.

Pete

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Astropedro said:

Ok I bought a mini pc for £65 with a bit more memory and WiFi should I need it.  Will either remote into it via WiFi or run a cat5 cable if needed.

Will buy a cheap monitor and keyboard to leave in the observatory for those times when I want to sit in there or if I need to control the mini pc directly such as to install software when it arrives etc.

I'll let you know how I get on guys and thanks for the advice.

Pete

If you do decide on Wi-Fi, don’t rely on the poor internal ones you get  with Mini PC’s as it will cause headaches, I bought a USB 3.0 Wi-Fi dongle and it’s been rock solid, in fact it’s better than any power line plugs too….probably not quite on par with direct Ethernet, but at a solid 860mbps, it’s good, and never had an issue, which was more that could be said about the internal Intel NUC Wi-Fi…👍🏼

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

If you do decide on Wi-Fi, don’t rely on the poor internal ones you get  with Mini PC’s as it will cause headaches, I bought a USB 3.0 Wi-Fi dongle and it’s been rock solid, in fact it’s better than any power line plugs too….probably not quite on par with direct Ethernet, but at a solid 860mbps, it’s good, and never had an issue, which was more that could be said about the internal Intel NUC Wi-Fi…👍🏼

I hear you.  The mini pc I bought doesn't have onboard WiFi but the seller is including a USB WiFi dongle which is very nice of him.  I'll hold off on buying a 20 metre ethernet cable until I've tested it with the WiFi I think.  I didn't ask if the dongle was usb3 but to be honest, I may need the usb3 ports for the 2 cameras as my guide camera may benefit from the usb3 as well as the imaging camera.

Edited by Astropedro
  • Like 1

On 08/01/2022 at 20:47, david_taurus83 said:

Oops! I've had a bit of a scare tonight! Managed to blow 2 fuses in my 12v banana plug type distributor! I have something similar to this below, separate channels power everything, one channel for mount and another channel for camera, focuser, dew controller. With the Atik 460, even when PC is powered off, the fan still runs. So I've been disconnection the power cable to the Atik after every session before I cover up. Switched everything on this evening and connected the cable, it blew 2 fuses in the power strip! Luckily enough no damage to anything as I switched over to 2 of the spare channels and everything is ok. But its making me think about one of these Pegasus boxes. They really worth the investment? @Stuart1971

hobbyking-powerstrip-fuse-protected-power-distribution-board-1_R191H9Y6K0A1_RS1QGSOABOZ8_grande.jpeg.4fc97c36b8f5c360cb1d379c20fd6b32.jpeg

@david_taurus83Have you seen this ad for a Pegasus UPV V2 as new for sale on ABS…

https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=182160

Edited by Stuart1971
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

@david_taurus83Have you seen this ad for a Pegasus UPV V2 as new for sale on ABS…

https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=182160

I seen it on FB page but I've ordered from RVO this morning as I'd rather have full warranty given what it does! I can't believe how lucky I am not to have fried everything the other night! 

• Like 2

I seen it on FB page but I've ordered from RVO this morning as I'd rather have full warranty given what it does! I can't believe how lucky I am not to have fried everything the other night! 

Just a heads up…..

make sure when you start using, you know which is the adjustable power output and which is the always on 12v one, they are close to each other, as the way I have my UPB mounted I can’t see the labels, and nearly got them wrong once and plugged an RPI4 into the 12v always on power instead of the adjustable one set at 5v….😮

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Just a heads up…..

make sure when you start using, you know which is the adjustable power output and which is the always on 12v one, they are close to each other, as the way I have my UPB mounted I can’t see the labels, and nearly got them wrong once and plugged an RPI4 into the 12v always on power instead of the adjustable one set at 5v….😮

I put a label on mine that I still cannot see 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My variation:

• Pegasus USB Control Hub
  • Powerpole distribution block
  • Hitec Astro - 4-channel dew band controller

All mounted on the main scope (Esprit 120).

Mini-PC mounted on the pier. 

1 x 12V supply up through the mount to the scope.

1 x USB3 ditto.

PC linked into my home network with ethernet.

Access to the whole rig from PC in warm room,  PC in office, or sometimes iPad from sofa or in bed.

I could simplify it with a more sophisticated Pegasus box, but I had the dew band controller and distribution block already and wanted to replace a dumb USB3 hub with something where each port is switchable (fewer trips into the cold to reconnect a camera that is misbehaving).

• Like 2

@Stuart1971 Yes! It works! Stating the obvious, I know, but I run a CAT5 ethernet cable from the pier to the mini PC in the shed via a Startech USB2 hub. I was concerned this may flag up a USB issue with the UPB but after some testing down the shed it works a treat. Even with all USB2 devices in the UPB USB3 hub. Well impressed with it!

• Like 2

@Stuart1971 Yes! It works! Stating the obvious, I know, but I run a CAT5 ethernet cable from the pier to the mini PC in the shed via a Startech USB2 hub. I was concerned this may flag up a USB issue with the UPB but after some testing down the shed it works a treat. Even with all USB2 devices in the UPB USB3 hub. Well impressed with it!

Good, glad to hear it….best thing you will have ever bought…👍🏼

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Apologies for jumping on this thread. Just waiting for my gear to turn up and making sure i've got everything covered.  Ive asked before on here and i "think" I had it sorted in my head but then this post has confused and worried me again.

So, my set up. 

EQ5 Pro Goto

WO ZS73iii

ASI120MM Guide cam

Nikon D7100

My Plan

Want to operate the scope from directly my main PC upstairs.  I've purchased the Startech USB2004EXTV 4 port USB 2 extender. Am i correct in saying that that is all i need to make my plan work ? Other than power to the mount itself. 🤔

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chubster1302 said:

Apologies for jumping on this thread.

Glad you did, it's applicable to my situation. I asked on the Pegasus forum if my Pocket Pegasus could control the 12V outputs separately but my question remains unanswered. I would like to turn my flat frame light box on at the end of the session. I should have asked here! This thread tells me only the Ultimate can do that. 

In answer to your question, I do as Scotty38 advised, My mount and cameras are connected to a pc in the garage via a Pegasus Pocket Box and I remote to that from my indoors pc, in the warm, using Teamviewer over the internet. I use NINA, CPWI, PHD2 and the Pegasus software all running in the garage and controlled from my front room with no problems.

Regards

Graeme

• Like 1

12 hours ago, chubster1302 said:

Apologies for jumping on this thread. Just waiting for my gear to turn up and making sure i've got everything covered.  Ive asked before on here and i "think" I had it sorted in my head but then this post has confused and worried me again.

So, my set up. 

EQ5 Pro Goto

WO ZS73iii

ASI120MM Guide cam

Nikon D7100

My Plan

Want to operate the scope from directly my main PC upstairs.  I've purchased the Startech USB2004EXTV 4 port USB 2 extender. Am i correct in saying that that is all i need to make my plan work ? Other than power to the mount itself. 🤔

Yes this setup should work fine even tough it is USB2, You will need power to the Startech units but as you have power at the mount then that should be no problem.

As you have seen from your previous threads, and this one, there is more than one way to operate your scope setup from a distance.
From my experience in my opinion (everybody will have different experiences or tried different things) the best ways in order are:

1. A good mini computer of some sort (ideally NOT a RPi, although I did use one for quite a while with some issues but it worked) and then hard wired ethernet back to PC in warm area.
  2. A good mini computer of some sort and then use some remote desktop program to communicate with PC in warm area, (this is how I do it currently. This works fine for me but distance and a lot of brick or steel in the way can make this slow and can drop out occasionally.

The advantage of both the above is that it is actually the mini pc that is controlling the equipment, running the sequencing software and collecting the images so any issues with communicating with the mini pc from your laptop or desktop in the house does not actually affect the imaging, it is just annoying.
    You can also transfer the images to your pc in the house when using NINA )probably other software too) and again this is great as it does it in the background so seed not an issue and it backs up images on the mount PC so you end up with two copies for safety.

3. If you really do not want a mini PC at the mount then a setup like yours using  a USB hub and then USB over Ethernet.  If the USB over ethernet has its own hub (some have 4 or more USB2 ports) and there are enough ports then no need for the hub.

Like I said in your thread about this personally I had no success at all with long USB cables including active (repeater) and passive cables and so opted for this setup before I started using a mini PC at the mount but I know other well known member on this forum have used them very successfully so cannot rule them out but I could only suggest something that worked for me and it worked really well, never missed a beat. 

Many on this thread are mentioning the Pegasus boxes. There are several of these available with different amounts of ports and controllability.
They are brilliant pieces of kit, I have one and would not be without it, but they are not a method of controlling your scope / camera etc from a remote computer.
Basically it would hep with adding more USB ports (that can be turned on and off on the more expensive units) ability to control your dew bands (on some units) and are a good way to distribute 12V to all your equipment that needs it, again on some units you can switch these on and off, but at the end of the day you still need to connect your PC in the house to the USB port on the Pegasus somehow and the Pegasus will be on the mount so still a distance away from your PC.

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Graeme said:

I asked on the Pegasus forum if my Pocket Pegasus could control the 12V outputs separately but my question remains unanswered. I would like to turn my flat frame light box on at the end of the session. I should have asked here! This thread tells me only the Ultimate can do that. 

There are Pegasus power boxes that can turn the 12V outputs on and off, the Pocket Powerbox certainly can ,and the Pocket Powerbox Micro, but these both do not have USB ports and are just power poxes for 12V and the dew bands.

If you need the USB hubs as well then it is only the Ultimate that can control all the 12V power ports individually, the Pocket Powerbox Advanced can only turn all off or all on and not each one individually, however it also has an adjustable supply that can be switched on and off without affecting the other 4 12V only outputs capable of 12V @ 3A which would work with your flat panel.

Steve

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

I had my Flats panel connected to one of the 12v outputs on my Pegasus UPB, and had it turned off by default and just used it at the end of a session, but when the UPB was powered up that port was always off until I manually turned it on…👍🏻

And, of course, you can turn that port on and off in NINA as part of a sequence anyway.

EDIT = If it's one of the four ports on an advance it's all four or nothing.... other than the one Teoria mentions

Edited by scotty38
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

And, of course, you can turn that port on and off in NINA as part of a sequence anyway.

EDIT = If it's one of the four ports on an advance it's all four or nothing.... other than the one Teoria mentions

Yes, mine is the UPB V2, not sure why the option is not available on the advance, it seems pointless just having the option to turn all 4 on or off, and not individually…🤔🤔

10 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Yes, mine is the UPB V2, not sure why the option is not available on the advance, it seems pointless just having the option to turn all 4 on or off, and not individually…🤔🤔

They wouldn't be able to call it an Ultimate if they all did it 🙂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Graeme said:

Glad you did, it's applicable to my situation. I asked on the Pegasus forum if my Pocket Pegasus could control the 12V outputs separately but my question remains unanswered. I would like to turn my flat frame light box on at the end of the session. I should have asked here! This thread tells me only the Ultimate can do that. 

In answer to your question, I do as Scotty38 advised, My mount and cameras are connected to a pc in the garage via a Pegasus Pocket Box and I remote to that from my indoors pc, in the warm, using Teamviewer over the internet. I use NINA, CPWI, PHD2 and the Pegasus software all running in the garage and controlled from my front room with no problems.

Regards

Graeme

Hmm....I just trying to get away from putting "another" pc in the loop. So are we saying my plan won't work??

Mine is the PPA so I will need to look at using the variable 12V for the flat panel controlled from NINA's advanced sequencer. Cheers for that.

The USB doesn't need to connect to the pc in the house when using Teamviewer. Everything is connected to and controlled by the remote pc. 

Thanks again for resurrecting this thread Chubster, I hope you're finding it as helpful as I am!  

57 minutes ago, chubster1302 said:

Hmm....I just trying to get away from putting "another" pc in the loop. So are we saying my plan won't work??

Where has it been said your setup will not work, as I said  on your other thread I had almost the same setup as yours, same scope, different DSLR, similar HEQ5 mount and same guidecam and it worked flawlessly from my PC some 40M away in the house. That was with APT not NINA I admit but that should not be any issue.

You just seem to be worried it will not work, I have not seen it said contrary to my suggestions, but maybe I have missed something, not unusual for me 🙂 .
Hopefully if you bought it off Amazon then try to connect it all in daylight and if not happy then send it back for a full refund.

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang
  • Like 1