SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Whats the first step in processing a stacked image from an astro-modified DSLR, should i align the RGB channels, or will that negate the point of using a modded cam? Image attached

Hi all, 

I got to briefly test out my new modded EOS 1300d last night and had a quick question about the stacked output. Im fairly adept at stock DSLR processing, and dealing with the usual green image. Sometimes i align the RGB levels in Photoshop and other times i use Pixinsight to deal with it when i have access to it. 

If i align the channels in Photoshop, will that negate any benefit from using the modded cam to record more red? If so, then would a channel extraction, then a linear fit to the lowest median channel in pixinsight be the best starting point?

Also, assuming im stacking in DSS, should i turn on "align RGB channels" on, on the stacking options tab? I haven tried siril or sequator yet, but i assume they will also output a red stacked image.

I have access to most of the software people use. Lightroom, pixinsight (sometimes), photoshop, raw therapee, siril, DSS etc.

So, my query, i guess, is 3 fold:

- Will red channel data be lost if i align the RGB channels before i start processing the usual way?

- Would a channel extraction and linear fit, then channel combination, be a good start in Pixinsight?

- Would turning on "align RGB channels" option in DSS stacking preferences make using a modded camera moot?

I know i can try all these myself, but i have so little free time to work on my AP images, i figured asking you fine folk would wield better answers.

in case its needed, image info

Canon EOS 1300D modded

image is cropped heavily

ISO 800

100 x 50s lights

Nikon 50mm F2.8, stopped down to 3.5

star adventurer 2i

B6 location Greater London edge

Ive also attached a VERY VERY rough processing result i got last night, (different crop) just to roughly see what i got. I know that the Heart and Soul really require at least 3-4 hours, which i will do next clear sky and using my 150mm lens

astromoddedheart.thumb.JPG.38a790108694264c12333e5b9399cb29.JPG 1326220859_notsoamazingcopy.thumb.jpg.281d2e7c5d49c76afd31e656bc613bf9.jpg

thank you all in advance