Narrowband

Deep Sky, North of the Wall

scarp15

Edging west, the lunar earthshine hung crisp with Jupiter brightly suspended above. Crystallized snow covered the moorland this side of Hadrian's Wall, as I gingerly made my way along the single track road to reach my destination.

The session began with the Pleiades, looking tantalizing for later and open clusters such as M36. Securing the OIII filter and having missed out last time, M1 welcomed in the session large and puffy. Along to the Flaming Star in Auriga; both components each side of AE Aurigae IC 410 and IC405 were discernibly formed. Often my encounters of IC405 are rather patchy and displaced, not this time, the profile of this emission, reflection nebula was clear and expansive. 

Along to the Pacman in Cassiopeia which was wholesome and then onto the Bubble, first picking up M52. Having not visited NGC 761 for quite some time, it was much as I recall with about half the 'bubble' visible. 

Filling the edge of field within each eyepiece, M42 and M43 were visited on numerous occasions. Retaining focus on Orion and removing the filter, the dark lane within the Flame was quite defined in the 10mm Delos. This subject does require experimentation with eyepieces and with and without a UHC filter. Therefore it became time to attempt a visit to the Horse Head and trial this with my 18.2mm DeLite. Well it did take some time to settle in and orientate as well as re-familiarize and get to grips with what a challenge it could it be. Depending on the aperture used and conditions on the night, this subject requires you to relax and take your time and to shut tight your non observing eye. Then it emerges, with averted vision (in my case), the shape or patch, as black as coal. I experimented both with and without the paracorr, satisfied that this eyepiece (having sold off my plossls) can deliver.   

Then onto the showpiece of the night the California in Perseus. High in the south the perfect time to observe, I decided not to refit the paracorr. The 41mm Panoptic in this configuration (at F4.6) yields a whopping 8.91mm exit pupil, that is however offset by the contrast of the H-beta filter and also providing a maximum field of view.  It worked superbly, the nebula was lit up and a delight to cruise along, comparable to a slightly dimmer and plucky impression of the Veil. 

The H-beta had yet further duties, in locating M78 and gently nudge across until the 'curtain' is detected, that is Barnard's Loop. Once inside, it is like cruising along a river, albeit a very dim one. 

Returning to the OIII filter, the Collarbone Nebula (Orion), The Rosette and the underwhelming Jellyfish (in Gemini) were each visited.  

Without a filter, reflection nebula within the Pleiades was very distinct. After which the Double Cluster and Beehive were also visited. 

To conclude I would like to mention IC59 and IC63 'Ghost of Cassiopeia' - reflection nebula above Gamma CAS. This was my second attempt and formed as part of a topic I'd started in Deep Sky Discussions. Having previously used plossls 20 and 25mm, for this attempt I used my 18.2mm and not unlike last time there was very little that can be discerned.

The temperature was at -6C, earlier Sky Quality Meter readings were hitting 21.31, then my battery died, quite sure that this would had become higher. Gingerly reversing my route back, was not without incident, as roe deer darted across and three owls swooped past. 

20220105_223807 (2).jpg

• Like 13

Fantastic report and loads of fascinating fuzzies! Well done on the Horse Head, you make it sound so easy; if that was without a filter that's very very  impressive (I suppose you have your 14" and 21.3 sim skies). Do you find the UHC better than the Hb?

1 hour ago, scarp15 said:

The H-beta had yet further duties, in locating M78 and gently nudge across until the 'curtain' is detected, that is Barnard's Loop. Once inside, it is like cruising along a river, albeit a very dim one. 

That's a nice tip, I have not used a filter on M78. Do you know if Barnard's Loop is visible with smaller apertures?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kon said:

Fantastic report and loads of fascinating fuzzies! Well done on the Horse Head, you make it sound so easy; if that was without a filter that's very very  impressive (I suppose you have your 14" and 21.3 sim skies). Do you find the UHC better than the Hb?

That's a nice tip, I have not used a filter on M78. Do you know if Barnard's Loop is visible with smaller apertures?

Thanks, I ought had made that a bit clearer, the Horse Head did require the H-beta filter. I used to use a 20mm and 25mm TV plossl on this, which I no longer have, since acquiring an 18.2mm DeLite e.p. It had been a good while since I last had an opportunity to take on more challenging subjects, you tend to forget a little as to what is required. The Horse Head though, once seen, is no longer such an elusive subject as you know the 'trick' required to visually resolve it and there is something strangely satisfying about seeing almost nothing. 

Actually M78 is a reflection nebula not necessarily best resolved with a H-beta or any other filter. However when the sky is dark and transparent enough it will be easily seen with this filter and is considered a guideline for attempting the 'brighter' portion of Barnard's Loop. It can definitely be detected with smaller aperture and can be an advantage requiring a wider field, I have observed it with an 85mm refractor. However it is a difficult subject, yet perhaps worth while to follow up after the Horse Head. It is fascinating based upon its immensity, you encounter it by first of all establishing the edge, then can drift inwards and perhaps even along (downwards) a little. It is a subject for late on in a session when you have been observing very dim objects and are fully attuned to be dark adapted, even so it is remarkably dim. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, scarp15 said:

Actually M78 is a reflection nebula not necessarily best resolved with a H-beta or any other filter. However when the sky is dark and transparent enough it will be easily seen with this filter and is considered a guideline for attempting the 'brighter' portion of Barnard's Loop. It can definitely be detected with smaller aperture and can be an advantage requiring a wider field, I have observed it with an 85mm refractor. However it is a difficult subject, yet perhaps worth while to follow up after the Horse Head. It is fascinating based upon its immensity, you encounter it by first of all establishing the edge, then can drift inwards and perhaps even along (downwards) a little. It is a subject for late on in a session when you have been observing very dim objects and are fully attuned to be dark adapted, even so it is remarkably dim. 

Great thanks! I will try do some reading upon it. It sounds like another fascinating it's there /it's not there object 😀.

• Like 1

On 06/01/2022 at 16:41, Kon said:

Great thanks! I will try do some reading upon it. It sounds like another fascinating it's there /it's not there object 😀.

Just regarding a little more concerning this, an ultra wide / wide field e.p at low power with a large exit pupil is required. With each of my scopes, I use a 31mm and 41mm eyepiece.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scarp15 said:

Just regarding a little more concerning this, an ultra wide / wide field e.p at low power with a large exit pupil is required. With each of my scopes, I use a 31mm and 41mm eyepiece.

Thank you for the further info. I have a 32mm Plossl with a large exit pupil, that I do not get along, but not wide field. I wonder if my ES 24mm 68 degrees might do it as well?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kon said:

Thank you for the further info. I have a 32mm Plossl with a large exit pupil, that I do not get along, but not wide field. I wonder if my ES 24mm 68 degrees might do it as well?

Perhaps your 32mm would be better suited as this will open up to 5.3mm exit pupil in your 8" F6. However it would be a narrow field of view and I think that  approx 6mm + will be required coupled to a 2" good quality H-beta filter. 

• Thanks 1