Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Session 2 for 2022

Davesellars

After Tuesday night with the 120ST, I was itching use the 12" dob again.  I'd had a session late afternoon for an hour and a half with my Wife and kids to see the moon , Jupiter, Saturn and Mercury with a small scope we took on to on to the park at the side of our house where we have an outstanding view to the South and West.  The kids really enjoyed the session and the seeing was very steady!  Had some great views of Jupiter even with only 100mm Heritage dob that I have setup on a tripod.

On returning from the planetary afternoon session I set up the 12" Dob around 6pm and let cool down fully to start the session at 8:30pm

While it was fantastically clear, there was significant humidity in the air which seemed to be affecting the transparency a touch in comparison with the previous night.

M42 with a 28mm Maxvision showed a good amount of colour - a even managed to get some pink / red as well as green.

M43 - The running man showed good structure especially with the UHC filter

Flame Nebula - After midnight, I was able to glimpse a small outline of the dark lane - but was extremely difficult! I expected a bit more, but the sky didn't seem to my eyes as dark as it can get. Proper dark adaption was near-on impossible earlier on with various lights from surrounding houses on which may have been a factor.

Rosette Nebula - This really stood out well with the OIII on a Delos 17.3mm I was only able to view part of the nebula at a time but it good detail observed.

M1 - nice  and bright with some detail.

M31 / M32 / M110 - M110 visible but very diffuse.

M33 - Got this one tonight but very dim and needing a little help with averted vision at times.  Have seen this much better which seemed to indicate the transparency was definitely not brilliant.

M51 - A little low but easy enough to see both cores but could not see much of the connection between the two.

M101 - Pfft.  Could just about with averted vision make a very diffuse smudge.

M97 - Owl nebula - Was exceptional with a Delos 14mm and OIII filter able to clearly see the eyes

M108 - Quite obvious tonight with reasonable apparent size with the 14mm Delos with a touch of mottling around the core.

M81  / M82 - Being quite high up these seemed to be escaping the lack of transparency elsewhere.  M82 was exceptional with the Delos 10mm showing the dark lane and shape.  M81 very bright core and some visible detail outside - could not distinguish outer arms though. Nearby NGC3077 obvious small core.

M109 - Slightly tricky needing a bit of averted vision to keep it in sight - no detail apart form the core.

Getting quite late 1am ish - on to leo as it was climbing

M65 / M66 / NGC 3628 - Leo triplet.  NGC 3628 very diffuse but obvious without averted vision being required despite Leo far from being in optimal position.  M65 and M66 quite brilliant.

Wrapped it up at approx 1:30am quite satisfied.  Literally everything covered in ice...  Enjoyed the session although earlier on was battling a bit with some lights coming from neighbours (which is why I prefer to observe after 11pm when most lights have switched off by then at least.

Looking forward now to the next one and getting on with the Herschel 400 list observations which I need to plan for a bit...

• Like 9

Great report !

I found the conditions similar last night - it looked wonderful to the eye but the ultimate transparency was not quite there when I came to search for the fainter DSO's. Still a very decent night for observing though.

You got a good haul of targets and the filter seems to be earning it's place :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1